[OpenAFS] Strange problem with Windows client.

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:15:31 +0200

Hi,

we have encountered a really strange problem when creating images for
reinstallation
of our Windows XP machines in out computer labs. All machines has
mandatory profiles
located on AFS.

The problem is that when logging in to a newly installed machine it will
try to fetch the
profile and redirect Desktop and My Documents before the user has got a
token,
therefore loading profile and redirecting will fail.  But when the user
is logged in,
a token exists and AFS works as expected. Setting access to the profile to
system:anyuser will allow the profile to be loaded.

This fails with clients 1.5.{59,60,61), but works with last years client
1.5.36.

More on, after trying to track the bug down, we found that if any of
these three
registry entries is set loading the mandatory profile will fail, but it
works as
it should if none of them are present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\NetworkProvider\Domain\LOCALHOST]

"FailLoginsSilently"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\NetworkProvider\Domain\LTU.SE]

"LoginRetryInterval"=dword:0000001e

"LoginSleepInterval"=dword:00000005

The machines tested all runs Windows XP SP3 with all the recommended
hotfixes.

Any ideas?  We are running out of them...

-- Ragge