[OpenAFS] "Constant" disk writing

John W Higgins wishdev@gmail.com
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 08:43:21 -0700

--0016e645fa8a1304bb0470cb7241

Good Morning Jeffrey,

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> I'm just wondering.  Why do you believe that the file server
> (or other) processes are writing to your volumes as opposed to
> reading from them or writing to log (or other) files?

First, thanks for the response.....

I'm basing this on a couple of things - first when I shut down the OpenAFS
server the disk activity stops. Second, I ran iotop to examine the io usage
and the writes were going to the 2 loop devices I was using to test OpenAFS
and nothing else is using that area but OpenAFS. And finally, top shows
fileserver popping up every 10 seconds when the disk activity to the loop
devices is occurring and then it goes back to sleep.

Is it possible that because I'm using loop devices something out of the norm
is occuring?

John

--0016e645fa8a1304bb0470cb7241

div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Jeffrey Altman <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com" target=

204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">I&#39;m just wond=
ering. =A0Why do you believe that the file server<br>
(or other) processes are writing to your volumes as opposed to<br>
reading from them or writing to log (or other) files?<br>
e response.....<br><br>I&#39;m basing this on a couple of things - first wh=
en I shut down the OpenAFS server the disk activity stops. Second, I ran io=
top to examine the io usage and the writes were going to the 2 loop devices=
 I was using to test OpenAFS and nothing else is using that area but OpenAF=
S. And finally, top shows fileserver popping up every 10 seconds when the d=
isk activity to the loop devices is occurring and then it goes back to slee=
p.<br>

--0016e645fa8a1304bb0470cb7241--