[OpenAFS] "Constant" disk writing

John W Higgins wishdev@gmail.com
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:04:19 -0700

--0016e6475c7212826e0470cbbd07

Morning Derrick,

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:43 AM, John W Higgins<wishdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good Morning Jeffrey,
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Jeffrey Altman
> > <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm just wondering.  Why do you believe that the file server
> >> (or other) processes are writing to your volumes as opposed to
> >> reading from them or writing to log (or other) files?
> >>

> > First, thanks for the response.....
> >
> > I'm basing this on a couple of things - first when I shut down the
> OpenAFS
> > server the disk activity stops. Second, I ran iotop to examine the io
> usage
> > and the writes were going to the 2 loop devices I was using to test
> OpenAFS
> > and nothing else is using that area but OpenAFS.
>
> I assume iotop lists process names; Given that there's no process
> called OpenAFS, what did it really tell you?
> Does it list fds?

The process was called fileserver and it was the
/usr/libexec/openafs/fileserver (I think that's the right location) process
that was making the writes.

> > And finally, top shows
> > fileserver popping up every 10 seconds when the disk activity to the loop
> > devices is occurring and then it goes back to sleep.
> >
> > Is it possible that because I'm using loop devices something out of the
> norm
> > is occuring?
>
> Unlikely.
>
> What version of OpenAFS? I suppose it's possible the background sync
> thread is in some way hurting you.

I'm running 1.4.9 (which I know it's the most current so I'm more then happy
to upgrade if that appears to be the issue).

John

--0016e6475c7212826e0470cbbd07

8:57 AM, Derrick Brashear <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shadow@gm=
il_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0=
pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
ef=3D"mailto:wishdev@gmail.com">wishdev@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Good Morning Jeffrey,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 3:53 AM, Jeffrey Altman<br>
&gt; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jaltman@secure-end=
points.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I&#39;m just wondering. =A0Why do you believe that the file server=
&gt;&gt; (or other) processes are writing to your volumes as opposed to<br>
&gt;&gt; reading from them or writing to log (or other) files?<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; First, thanks for the response.....<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;m basing this on a couple of things - first when I shut down the=
 OpenAFS<br>
&gt; server the disk activity stops. Second, I ran iotop to examine the io =
usage<br>
&gt; and the writes were going to the 2 loop devices I was using to test Op=
enAFS<br>
&gt; and nothing else is using that area but OpenAFS.<br>
called OpenAFS, what did it really tell you?<br>
d it was the /usr/libexec/openafs/fileserver (I think that&#39;s the right =
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); ma=
rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt; And finally, top shows<br>
&gt; fileserver popping up every 10 seconds when the disk activity to the l=
oop<br>
&gt; devices is occurring and then it goes back to sleep.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Is it possible that because I&#39;m using loop devices something out o=
f the norm<br>
&gt; is occuring?<br>
What version of OpenAFS? I suppose it&#39;s possible the background sync<br=

thread is in some way hurting you.<br>
 current so I&#39;m more then happy to upgrade if that appears to be the is=

--0016e6475c7212826e0470cbbd07--