[OpenAFS] openafs on Fedora 12?

Mauricio Villarroel villarroel.mauricio@gmail.com
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:33:25 -0500

--000325559b32a2c3b1047a60b063

I agree with Alf, we've been using afs (as clients) under fedora 12 in
"reasonable modern" workstations (the oldest is a single core 4 yr old box
:-) without any major show-stoppers. Yes, there is the annoying syslogging
for large caches (more so when you boot the machine), but overall, we didn't
notice a noticeable performance degradation (we didn't perform any
statistical measures tough) at runtime.

We just picked the src.rpm and rebuilt it for fedora 12. One advantage that
we found (if others can confirm this, it would be great) in using Fedora 12
(as afs client) is that we don't need the pam_afs_session anymore, the
pam_krb5 provided in fedora correctly gets the kerberos tickets and afs
tokens at loging time and we didn't need to mess around with the pam.d/*
files (I remember prior Fedora 12, there was problem with pam_keyring
revoking the afs tokens, etc).

We don't use serial consoles, so Simon might be right about
his performance concerns, and we didn't test fedora 12 as afs servers, but
we are not seeing any bottlenecks for graphical workstations (KDE or
Gnome). Again, we didn't make any rigorous testing, so take my words with
caution until the experts confirm.

Mauro

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2009, at 17:02, Alf Wachsmann wrote:
>
>  OpenAFS version 1.4.11 works just fine on Fedora 12.
>>

> Providing you don't care about performance, yes. But the level of logging
> that the ima imbalance errors produce slows machines which log to a
> graphical console, and renders those using serial consoles virtually
> unusable.
>
> S.

--000325559b32a2c3b1047a60b063

ont-size: 13px; border-collapse: collapse; ">I agree with Alf, we&#39;ve be=
en using afs (as clients) under fedora 12 in &quot;reasonable modern&quot; =
workstations (the oldest is a single core 4 yr old box :-) without any majo=
r=A0show-stoppers. Yes, there is the=A0annoying=A0syslogging for large cach=
es (more so when you boot the machine), but overall, we didn&#39;t notice a=
=A0noticeable=A0performance degradation (we didn&#39;t perform any statisti=
cal measures tough) at runtime.=A0<div>
. One advantage that we found (if others can confirm this, it would be grea=
t) in using Fedora 12 (as afs client) is that we don&#39;t need the pam_afs=
_session anymore, the pam_krb5 provided in fedora correctly gets the kerber=
os tickets and afs tokens at loging time and we didn&#39;t need to mess aro=
und with the pam.d/* files (I remember prior Fedora 12, there was problem w=
ith pam_keyring revoking the afs tokens, etc).</div>
ht about his=A0performance=A0concerns, and we didn&#39;t test fedora 12 as =
afs servers, but we are not seeing=A0any=A0bottlenecks for graphical workst=
ations (KDE or Gnome).=A0Again, we didn&#39;t make any rigorous testing, so=
 take my words with caution until the experts confirm.</div>
=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Simon Wilkinson <span dir=
=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk">sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;"><div class=3D"im"><br>
On 8 Dec 2009, at 17:02, Alf Wachsmann wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
OpenAFS version 1.4.11 works just fine on Fedora 12.<br>
Providing you don&#39;t care about performance, yes. But the level of loggi=
ng that the ima imbalance errors produce slows machines which log to a grap=
hical console, and renders those using serial consoles virtually unusable.<=
br>