[OpenAFS] openafs on Fedora 12?

Mauricio Villarroel maurov@mit.edu
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:33:57 -0500

--00032555819e9aaca8047a3afa15

I agree with Alf, we've been using afs under fedora 12 in "reasonable
modern" workstations (the oldest is a single core 4 yr old box :-) without
any major show-stoppers. Yes, there is the annoying syslogging for large
caches (more so when you boot the machine), but overall, we didn't notice
any performance degradation (we didn't perform any statistical measure
tough) at runtime.

We just picked the src.rpm and rebuilt it for fedora 12. One advantage that
we found (if others can confirm this, it would be great) in using Fedora 12
is that we don't need the pam_afs_session anymore, the pam_krb5 provided in
fedora correctly gets the kerberos tickets and afs tokens at loging time and
we didn't need to mess around with the pam.d/* files.

We don't use serial consoles, so Simon might be right about
his performance concerns, but we are not seeing any bottlenecks for
graphical workstations (KDE or Gnome). Again, we didn't make any rigorous
testing, so take my words with caution until the experts confirm.

Mauro

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 8 Dec 2009, at 17:02, Alf Wachsmann wrote:
>
>  OpenAFS version 1.4.11 works just fine on Fedora 12.
>>

> Providing you don't care about performance, yes. But the level of logging
> that the ima imbalance errors produce slows machines which log to a
> graphical console, and renders those using serial consoles virtually
> unusable.
>
> S.

--00032555819e9aaca8047a3afa15

I agree with Alf, we&#39;ve been using afs under fedora 12 in &quot;reasona=
ble modern&quot; workstations (the oldest is a single core 4 yr old box :-)=
 without any major=A0show-stoppers. Yes, there is the=A0annoying=A0sysloggi=
ng for large caches (more so when you boot the machine), but overall, we di=
dn&#39;t notice any performance degradation (we didn&#39;t perform any stat=
istical measure tough) at runtime.=A0<div>
. One advantage that we found (if others can confirm this, it would be grea=
t) in using Fedora 12 is that we don&#39;t need the pam_afs_session anymore=
, the pam_krb5 provided in fedora correctly gets the kerberos tickets and a=
fs tokens at loging time and we didn&#39;t need to mess around with the pam=
.d/* files.</div>
ht about his=A0performance=A0concerns, but we are not seeing=A0any=A0bottle=
necks for graphical workstations (KDE or Gnome).=A0Again, we didn&#39;t mak=
e any rigorous testing, so take my words with caution until the experts con=
firm.</div>
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Simon Wilkinson <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
On 8 Dec 2009, at 17:02, Alf Wachsmann wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
OpenAFS version 1.4.11 works just fine on Fedora 12.<br>
Providing you don&#39;t care about performance, yes. But the level of loggi=
ng that the ima imbalance errors produce slows machines which log to a grap=
hical console, and renders those using serial consoles virtually unusable.<=
br>