[OpenAFS] afs recoverability

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:04:15 -0500

>> > 1. If I loose all afs servers (binaries, configurations, etc...), and I'm
>> > left with the partitions with the volumes inside, can I read the data in the
>> > volumes without mounting the entire cell again?
>>
>> not in a manner which is likely sensible, but you can.
>
> Can you please indicate-me where can I read about this (or what program to use).

well, it's just a directory of files; but the names of the files are
encoded AFS inode numbers. The contents are exactly what you see
through the filesystem, but the names don't make it obvious what
you're looking at.

> (this is because I'm really concerned about storing sensitive data on
> afs, if I have no other way of reading it but to get afs working...).

given that the fileserver is a userspace process, there shouldn't
really be much obstacle to getting it working.

even if you can't get a client working, you can take volume dumps from
a running server, and use for instance "dumptool" to get a tree of
files from it, named as you'd expect.

--
Derrick