[OpenAFS] encrypted volumes

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:12:34 -0700

--00163642719e168466046243f781

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:43 AM, Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>wrote:

> David Bear wrote:
> >
> > Has there ever been much discussion  on created encrypted volumes?
> >  These would work like a local encrypted file system - without they
> > key, they are useless.  I'm thinking that you might need an fs setkey
> > or something like that to insert the key into the cache manager.. fs
> > mkmount could have a switch that would specify it was an encrypted
> > volume..
> >
> > simple musing...
> >
> Why not just use a truecrypt to mount a file from an AFS volume as an
> encrypted volume?
>
> Jason

well -- I don't know about truecrypt -- and doubt that windows, mac and
linux de jour does as well.

AFS volumes represent a very convenient way to have multiple offsite backups
of stuff -- and would be a great platform to build a service on like
'carbonite' or the iron mountain data backup solution. Having encrypted
volumes would really make this kind of service sing.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU

--00163642719e168466046243f781

gecombe <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jason@rampaginggeek.com">ja=
uote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0=
pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
&gt;<br>
&gt; Has there ever been much discussion &nbsp;on created encrypted volumes=
?<br>
&gt; &nbsp;These would work like a local encrypted file system - without th=
ey<br>
&gt; key, they are useless. &nbsp;I&#39;m thinking that you might need an f=
s setkey<br>
&gt; or something like that to insert the key into the cache manager.. fs<b=
r>
&gt; mkmount could have a switch that would specify it was an encrypted<br>
&gt; volume..<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; simple musing...<br>
&gt;<br>
encrypted volume?<br>
Jason<br>
nd doubt that windows, mac and linux de jour does as well. <br><br>AFS volu=
mes represent a very convenient way to have multiple offsite backups of stu=
ff -- and would be a great platform to build a service on like &#39;carboni=
te&#39; or the iron mountain data backup solution. Having encrypted volumes=
 would really make this kind of service sing.<br clear=3D"all">
br>

--00163642719e168466046243f781--