[OpenAFS] encrypted volumes

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs@online.de
Fri, 6 Feb 2009 19:27:13 +0100

--nextPart1634167.f3hYRWW4zF

Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2009 19:12:34 schrieb David Bear:

> well -- I don't know about truecrypt -- and doubt that windows, mac and
> linux de jour does as well.

Well, they do.

> AFS volumes represent a very convenient way to have multiple offsite
> backups of stuff -- and would be a great platform to build a service on
> like 'carbonite' or the iron mountain data backup solution. Having
> encrypted volumes would really make this kind of service sing.

No. Backup volumes are _not_ a real backup. They are snapshots of the rw=20
volumes which can be used to take a backup from without fear that the data=
=20
changes in between. Being a snapshot, they usually stay where their rw volu=
me=20
is. So what you really want is not encrypted volumes, but an encrypted back=
up.=20
That's a totally different thing.

Bye...

	Dirk