[OpenAFS] Files getting corrupted from some clients

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:18:09 +0100 (CET)

> I know you're not supposed to use AFS for database-like things, but it seems
> that if I can't even unpack a tarball without corruption, there's some sort of
> problem that needs to be resolved.

True.

>  fairly diverse range of Linux distributions.

What file system type(s) do you use for AFS caches? I use ext2 or
ext3. Because the cache does not contain anything that _must_ survive
a reboot (unless you use the experimental disconnected features in
1.5.x), I suggest ext2 for speed. I had really bad experiences with
reiserfs.

Does the corruption occur if you use memcache, too?

> I'm new to AFS - and am more accustomed to NFS; so I'm not sure if I'm just
> doing something that AFS doesn't handle well, or if AFS varies that much from
> client to client.

If it is of some consolidation for you or not I don't know, but I've
run 1.4.8preX on 2000 Linux clients for some time and have upgraded to
distro 1.4.8 yesterday. So if there is something basic wrong with
1.4.8 I will definitely notice (gulp).

> I want to give it a chance, but getting corrupted files
> when a client writes to disk tends to put a damper on the whole experience.

No s*** sherlock.

Harald.