[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.7.dfsg1-6 on Ubuntu Intrepid

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:18:02 -0800

"Douglas E. Engert" <deengert@anl.gov> writes:

> OpenAFS Version: 1.4.7.dfsg1-6 will run on Ubuntu Intrepid if started
> manually. But if stated by init out of rc2.d, afsd returns with:
>
>  afsd: Mounting the AFS root on '/afs', flags: 0.
>  afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(22)
>
> If I move /etc/rc2.d/S25openafs-client to S29openafs-client
> then it works from init. This moves it after the S28NetworkManager
>
> Anyone have any ideas why afsd could not mount the root on /afs?
> Does it need something the Network Manager did?

You have to use -dynroot for any system where the network is started by
some other process at some arbitrary point in the boot cycle (or even
after the system has booted).

As of 1.4.8.dfsg1-1, dynroot is now the default for new installations.  I
should have done that a long time ago; sorry about that.