[OpenAFS] Soliciting feedback on maemo (Nokia N800/N810) openafs packages

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri, 2 Jan 2009 20:00:33 +0000

On 31 Dec 2008, at 16:55, Jason Edgecombe wrote:

> I would like to know who has tried the openafs packages on the Nokia
> Internet tablets.
> Do you have any feedback or suggestions?

Hi Jason,

As you're probably aware, I've tried them.

The OpenAFS packages themselves work well. They should probably use -
fakestat-all in the afsd options, but apart from that, things are good.

Unfortunately, the Maemo file browser widget, Hildon-FM, doesn't play
nicely with network file systems. When you open a directory, it not
only stats all of the entries in that directory, but also attempts to
enumerate the contents of all of the sub directories. To add to the
pain, it's single threaded, so this process blocks the UI. I've been
looking on and off at ways of resolving this, but it's going to
involve some pretty invasive changes to the file browser, which I
haven't had a chance to do yet. Using a different file manager
application unfortunately doesn't resolve the problem, as Hildon-FM
provides the file browser window in every native program.

Cheers,

Simon