[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Deadline- Jan 9! CFP: 2009 OpenAFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:03:16 -0500

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a reminder that the Call for Participation for the 2009
> OpenAFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop will end Friday January 9,
> 2009.

The following is a set of topics I'm interested in presenting, and I'd
like to get some feedback from potential attendees -- which of these
would be most/more useful?

1- Cache tuning: examples of things people do with filesystems and how
to tune your cache and architect your namespace to make those perform
better.  This will use standard performance monitoring utilities,
server audit logs, client performance statistics, and network traces.
Suggestions for particular performance cases welcomed.

2- Examples of some scalability issues in OpenAFS and how to see what
those issues/limits are in your environment before they happen to you
in production.  The set of questions is tentatively:
- do I need faster/bigger hardware?
- can I consolidate fileservers?
- should I replicate more ROs?
- can I safely double the amount of disk on my fileservers?
- can I safely double the number of clients I have in my cell?

4- VLDB internals and tricks: the structure of the vldb and things you
can do with the the various vldb utilities, including dumping it to
XML, editing that, and then rebuilding your vldb

5- A description of the life of an SA in a well-run OpenAFS cell,
complete with examples of the tools and utilities that are running for
monitoring the health of the system so the SA can rest peacefully, the
delegation mechanisms in place so that users can handle their own
admin, the architectural layout so that the network people are happy,
etc)

6- how to determine if you should split existing cells and how to
accomplish that migration with a minimum of pain

Thoughts, feedback, suggestions (and requests) welcomed.

Thanks,
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation
http://www.endpoint.com/