[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] interface for vos split

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:57:58 +0100

>>Why wouldn't vos do the same thing that fs getfid currently does to get
>>the vnode?
>

> fs getfid is in the cache manager.  Since vos is user-space, it
> doesn't have access to the same routines.  An RPC to the volserver was
> suggested as the best way to handle that.  My follow-up question on #3
> is primarily to ask if that's how we want it handled, and if we want
> to expose that interface via a vos command.  In other words, would a
> command like:
>
> vos getvnode -volume $vol -relative_path path
>
> be useful.

Of course I had thought a little about the best user interface when
designing the current syntax of "vos split". In order to not mix
volserver interfaces and cache manager/fileserver interfaces I decided
to do it the most simple way. You always can write a wrapper running on
a machine with AFS mounted like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
vnode=`fs getfid $3 | awk -F\. '{print $2}'`

vos split $1 $2 $vnode

I think before reinventing a cache manager within the volserver this is
a much easier approach.

-Hartmut

>>It should, of course, double-check that the directory name given is within
>>the volume that one is splitting.
>

> Definitely.

Hartmut Reuter                  e-mail 		reuter@rzg.mpg.de
			   	phone 		 +49-89-3299-1328
			   	fax   		 +49-89-3299-1301
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)   	web    http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~hwr
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)