[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] interface for vos split

pod pod@herald.ox.ac.uk
Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:32:41 +0000

Hartmut Reuter <reuter@rzg.mpg.de> writes:

> [...] You always can write a wrapper running on a machine with
> AFS mounted like this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> #
> vnode=`fs getfid $3 | awk -F\. '{print $2}'`
>
> vos split $1 $2 $vnode

*Like* the above but not actually the above.  The usual caveats apply...

shell$ fs getfid /afs/bad-day.42.example.com | awk -F\. '{print $2}'
42

Hilarity ensues.

In case the above appears overly flippant I suggest it does raise a valid
UI question.  Namely that if the interface specifies where the split
occurs by vnode is there any way for the user to get feedback to confirm
that they got the right number?

If they didn't get the right number what are their options?