[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] interface for vos split

Rainer Toebbicke rtb@pclella.cern.ch
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:48:41 +0100

Our "administrators" only use the non-informational vos commands through
wrappers that present AFS space as a project-based managed entity. "vos"
itself needs a more thorough understanding of volumes and mount points to be
used by those middle-layer admins.

As vos needs "hard" privileges to do anything {harm|use}ful the discussion
about how beginner-friendly the interface should be is a bit like drilling
little holes into the seatpost of your bicycle in order to save weight rather
than slimming the hugely overweighted "motor".

The guys trusted with enough super-cow powers so that they can actually do a
"vos split" better understand what volumes are, how the file space builds up,
and most important, what the caveats are (quota, linux "find"s, ACL
inheritance, make, etc.)

I guess had Hartmut from the start implemented a -dirname argument with a
*relative* directory name (that's what I would expect per gut feeling) for
comfort we wouldn't discuss this. Anything more fancy would look rather odd in
the traditional spartanic look.

Rainer Toebbicke
European Laboratory for Particle Physics(CERN) - Geneva, Switzerland
Phone: +41 22 767 8985       Fax: +41 22 767 7155