[OpenAFS] Linux Kernel change disables AFS

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:59:09 +0000

On 20 Jan 2009, at 19:32, dave first wrote:

> Over the weekend one of our Redhat Linux AFS clients (a workstation)
> was inadvertently updated from an AFS modified kernel
> -2.6.18-92.1.13.el5.centos.plus, to -2.6.18-92.1.22.el5.centos.plus,
> disabling the AFS integration in the kernel.
>
> I checked the online docs, but I don't see a procedure for
> re-integrating AFS with a new Linux kernel.  I must be missing
> something.
>
> Would someone please point me to a good reference to the docs with a
> procedure to fix the kernel?

Ah. I see you're using a 'centosplus' kernel, which unfortunately we
don't (currently) automatically build modules for.

This means that you will need to build your own kernel module. The
exact process for this really depends on how your OpenAFS system is
installed on this workstation - did you install from RPM, or did you
build from scratch and install by hand? Also, the build process has
changed with recent releases - which version of OpenAFS are you
currently using on this machine?

If you can let me know that answers to those, I can help you further.

Cheers,

Simon.