[OpenAFS] Hang on shutdown with OSX ?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:52:14 -0500

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
>>I'm running openafs 1.4.8 on OSX 10.5, on a late 2008 MacBookPro
>>(intel). I'm new to OSX (but familiar with AFS on linux) so please
>>bear with me.
>>
>>After installing AFS, I am experiencing occasional hangs when shutting
>>down the machine - I have to do a hard reset.
>>
>>I have a suspicion that AFS is causing this, but no proof. It tends to
>>happen after I have been using AFS more extensively than when I
>>haven't. I'm new not sure how to go about debugging this, or just
>>testing if it is AFS causing the problem or not.
>
> I have been experiencing the exact same thing, on all of the Macs that
> I own, for a long, long time.
>
> It happens infrequently enough that I can never be sure that AFS is
> the problem.  I'm not sure how to debug it either (to confirm or deny that
> AFS is the problem would be a good first start), but if anyone has any
> ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

My first reply to Chris was inadvertantly private. I suggested if
there's a time he can leave it go for 10 minutes and see if it
completes, he should. But I guess the followon, which I forgot to
mention, is seeing, after that, what's in /var/log/system.log from the
reboot.

If there were verbose reboot like there's verbose boot, that'd be a
fine answer, but alas....

--
Derrick