[OpenAFS] Hang on shutdown with OSX ?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:11:04 -0500

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>

>>> Ah, thats a shame. I was hoping that would help.
>>>
>>> I don't think it is totally isolated to OSX. My suspicions for AFS where
>>> raised since I have definitely seen it happen on linux boxes. There, I
>>> 'know' it is afs that is causing the hang since I can see the init
>>> messages...
>>
>> well, you should share those; the thing is, linux, windows and osx are
>> the only platforms where we *do* support knowing the network is down
>> and thus immediately time out connections
>
> Sure thing. The problem there is this is on linux boxes at work, which go
> down very infrequently and I don't have root access to. I've reported it to
> the sysadmins so they are aware of the problem, but there isn't much I can
> do as a mere user. On my OSX machine though I do have root access so it is
> easier to debug.
>
> One thing though - The network is pretty well always available when I shut
> these machines ? Do you mean when the network has been shutdown, or when
> there is a problem with the network ? I don't think the issue is the network
> is off but AFS hasn't noticed.

During the process of shutdown the network will be turned off,
potentially before AFS stops.

If AFS sticks shutting down and the network is still up, that's
definitely something new. And sadly the best way to track it is
something which isn't simple for me to explain to you.