[OpenAFS] Network becomes terribly slow when cache manager flushes updates over xDSL

Tue, 07 Jul 2009 09:18:14 -0400

Frédéric:

Sure it is.  In fact I build OpenAFS within AFS across my NAT'd cable
modem connection while using that connection for many other things
at the same time.  I regularly access AFS using my cell phone data
connection which is sometimes shared by multiple computers by turning it
into a wifi access point.   When you push more data into the pipe than
can squeeze through the pipe at any one time everything will go slower.
If there is significant packet loss on the connection, it will go slower
still.

AFS is a network file system.  It supports local caching.  The caching
is only useful in reducing network traffic if:

 (a) the cache is larger than the working set size of the files
     being used so that thrashing does not occur

 (b) the operations being performed are mostly reads

Programs such as firefox that are performing large numbers of network
operations of their own are going to be competing with the file system
for the same resources.  Firefox in fact is going to be performing a
write to its web cache for every read from a web server.   Storing
such temporary data in network storage over a constrained pipe is not
going to work well.  You should configure firefox to always use
temporary local disk space for its cache.

Jeffrey Altman