[OpenAFS] Openafs failover

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Tue, 09 Jun 2009 01:23:28 +0200 (CEST)

> In the case of server1 would went down server2:
> 1. would mount vicepa ...
> 2. would take over address 10.0.0.1
> 3. finally would restart the vlserver volserver and fs processes.

You have missed what to do with the outstanding callbacks that server1
is holding (in memory). When server1 does shut down nicely, these are
handled (clients notified) during the shutdown. If server1 crashes,
these are lost, so clients could in this case continue to use an
outdated copy in cache. If I remember correctly, there has been work
for the 1.5.x server series to write down callback information
(continously) to the /vicepX. That could then be used by a starting
server2. I don't know the status of this work in progress. Someone on
this list surely can enlighten us.

Harald.