[OpenAFS] Openafs failover

Gémes Géza geza@kzsdabas.hu
Mon, 08 Jun 2009 20:57:11 +0200

Hi,

In principle my question is about the feasibility of the following setup:

There is a SAN (Coraid), all the partitions vicepa, vicepb, ... are in
fact lvm volumes on top of it.
Two boxes are connected to it, the boxes run a xenified debian distro.
On each of them there is one xen guest being an afs db and fileserver:
server1 and server2
The two servers get (via xen config file they get all the partitions rw,
but would mount them, only as following)
partitions (each volume on them is rw):
server1: vicepa ...
server2: vicepb ...
and IP addresses:
server1: 10.0.0.1
server2: 10.0.0.2

In the case of server1 would went down server2:
1. would mount vicepa ...
2. would take over address 10.0.0.1
3. finally would restart the vlserver volserver and fs processes.

Similarly for server2.

Please tell me if this setup misses some steps. Is this achievable?

Thanks in advance

Geza Gemes