[OpenAFS] Unable to 'move' volume....volume ID too large / cloned volume not findable?

Giovanni Bracco bracco@frascati.enea.it
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:33:27 +0100

On Thursday 19 March 2009 14:48, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> McKee, Shawn wrote:
> > Thanks Jeffrey,
> >
> > Yes, I agree...you have found the issue.  I  am surprised no one else has
> > hit this before (maybe they have but I didn't find this problem in my
> > searching).
> >
> > I guess this will take a patch to the code for existing versions to get
> > this resolved.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Shawn
>
> I have opened ticket 124510 for this issue.

I want to point out that in the past the issue of volumes with "too large" ID
emerged also in our cell (enea.it). At that time (2002) we still had AFS
Transarc and the support provided us with a patched  AFS version, able to
operate with volumes having  "too large" IDs.

Before migrating to OpenAFS we had to recover the normal AFS behaviour and the
procedure we did at that time (2005) was described at
AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop 2005 in Pittsburgh
http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw05/talks/VirtualAFScell_Bracco_Pittsburgh2005.pdf.

At that time it was not clear the reason of the initial  problem. Do have I to
assume that now it has been identified?

Giovanni

--
Giovanni Bracco