[OpenAFS] Unable to 'move' volume....volume ID too large / cloned volume not findable?

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:56:52 -0400

Giovanni Bracco wrote:
> I want to point out that in the past the issue of volumes with "too large" ID
> emerged also in our cell (enea.it). At that time (2002) we still had AFS
> Transarc and the support provided us with a patched  AFS version, able to
> operate with volumes having  "too large" IDs.
>
> Before migrating to OpenAFS we had to recover the normal AFS behaviour and the
> procedure we did at that time (2005) was described at
> AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop 2005 in Pittsburgh
> http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw05/talks/VirtualAFScell_Bracco_Pittsburgh2005.pdf.
>
> At that time it was not clear the reason of the initial  problem. Do have I to
> assume that now it has been identified?
>
> Giovanni

This just goes to show that giving a talk at a workshop is not
equivalent to submitting a bug report to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.
If this issue had been submitted to openafs-bugs, it would have been
addressed a long time ago.   The problem is quite obvious.  Some of the
volume id variables are signed and others are unsigned.  A volume id is
a volume id and the type used to represent it must be consistent.

Jeffrey Altman