[OpenAFS] Unable to 'move' volume....volume ID too large / cloned volume not findable?

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:05:36 +0100

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Giovanni Bracco wrote:
>> I want to point out that in the past the issue of volumes with "too large" ID
>> emerged also in our cell (enea.it). At that time (2002) we still had AFS
>> Transarc and the support provided us with a patched  AFS version, able to
>> operate with volumes having  "too large" IDs.
>>
>> Before migrating to OpenAFS we had to recover the normal AFS behaviour and the
>> procedure we did at that time (2005) was described at
>> AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop 2005 in Pittsburgh
>> http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw05/talks/VirtualAFScell_Bracco_Pittsburgh2005.pdf.
>>
>> At that time it was not clear the reason of the initial  problem. Do have I to
>> assume that now it has been identified?
>>
>> Giovanni
>
> This just goes to show that giving a talk at a workshop is not
> equivalent to submitting a bug report to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.
> If this issue had been submitted to openafs-bugs, it would have been
> addressed a long time ago.   The problem is quite obvious.  Some of the
> volume id variables are signed and others are unsigned.  A volume id is
> a volume id and the type used to represent it must be consistent.

Yes, of course, but what error changed the MaxVolumeId in the vleserver
is still completely unclear. BTW also we had a giant jump in the volume
ids some years ago, but fortunately it was not big enough to reach the
sign bit.

Hartmut