[OpenAFS] Unable to 'move' volume....volume ID too large / cloned volume not findable?

Giovanni Bracco bracco@frascati.enea.it
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:28:54 +0100

On Friday 20 March 2009 13:56, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Giovanni Bracco wrote:
> > I want to point out that in the past the issue of volumes with "too
> > large" ID emerged also in our cell (enea.it). At that time (2002) we
> > still had AFS Transarc and the support provided us with a patched  AFS
> > version, able to operate with volumes having  "too large" IDs.
> >
> > Before migrating to OpenAFS we had to recover the normal AFS behaviour
> > and the procedure we did at that time (2005) was described at
> > AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop 2005 in Pittsburgh
> > http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw05/talks/VirtualAFScell_Bracco_Pittsb=
ur
> >gh2005.pdf.
> >
> > At that time it was not clear the reason of the initial  problem. Do ha=
ve
> > I to assume that now it has been identified?
> >
> > Giovanni
>
> This just goes to show that giving a talk at a workshop is not
> equivalent to submitting a bug report to openafs-bugs@openafs.org.
> If this issue had been submitted to openafs-bugs, it would have been
> addressed a long time ago.   The problem is quite obvious.  Some of the
> volume id variables are signed and others are unsigned.  A volume id is
> a volume id and the type used to represent it must be consistent.

As I wrote in my posting, at that time (2002) my institution was using the=
=20
Transarc version of AFS and the reaction from  Transarc team was ...to=20
provide us with a patched version of AFS, not to correct the issue. That=20
version of course was not compatible with OpenAFS due to the large value of=
=20
the VolIDs existing at that point in our cell.=20

To perform the migration to OpenAFS 3 years later we had to go through a =20
volume renumbering campaign (more than 1000 volumes) plus an ad-hoc=20
modification of the vl database to reset the MAxVolID to a value supported =
by=20
OpenAFS. At that point do you think we should have submitted a bug on=20
misterious event happened three years before on the Transarc AFS version?

=46rom the  follow-up of the thread (postings by Hartmut Reuter and  Rainer=
=20
Toebbicke )  I see that the "strange" big jump in the VolID still happens a=
nd=20
surely the issue should be solved.

GIovanni

> Jeffrey Altman