[OpenAFS] Unable to 'move' volume....volume ID too large / cloned volume not findable?

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:18:46 +0100

Todd DeSantis wrote:
> Hi Rainer - Hi Hartmut ::
>

>> Yes, of course, but what error changed the MaxVolumeId in the vleserver
>> is still completely unclear. BTW also we had a giant jump in the volume
>> ids some years ago, but fortunately it was not big enough to reach the
>> sign bit.
>>

> The MaxVolumeId can be changed several ways, via a "vos restore" and I
> believe a "vos syncvldb or syncserv".
>
> Most likely, the initial jump was via the "vos restore" command.
>
> [src] vos restore -h
> Usage: vos restore -server <machine name> -partition <partition name>
> -name <nam
> e of volume to be restored> [-file <dump file>] [-id <volume ID>]
> [-overwrite <a
> bort | full | incremental>] [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth]
> [-verbose
> ] [-timeout <timeout in seconds >] [-help]
>
> If you use the [-id <volume ID>] and have a typo in the volume ID, the
> volumeID for the volume will be out of normal sequence and this will set
> the MaxVolumeID to this large number.
>
> Also, I believe that a "vos syncvldb or syncserv" will check the volumeIDs
> it is playing with and will check it against the MaxVolumeID and raise
> MaxVolumeID if necessary.
>
> I think when we saw this happen to an AFS cell, we gave the customer a
> tool to reset the MaxVolumeID to a more manageable number and they
> restored the volumes and gave them lower IDs.
>
> Thanks
>
> Todd DeSantis

Thank you Todd,

when this happened the 1st time I hexedited a copy of the vldb and reset
the maxVolumeId. Then having seen that the database version was still
the same I just copied my modified database over the actual one. But the
second time it happened I had already so many volumes with high numbers
that I resigned. Since then we live with these numbers...

I always had suspected ubik to have produced the jump but what you say
"vos restore" or "vos sync" looks much more probable.

Hartmut

Hartmut Reuter                  e-mail 		reuter@rzg.mpg.de
			   	phone 		 +49-89-3299-1328
			   	fax   		 +49-89-3299-1301
RZG (Rechenzentrum Garching)   	web    http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~hwr
Computing Center of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft (MPG) and the
Institut fuer Plasmaphysik (IPP)