[OpenAFS] OpenAFS, Dreamweaver and VPN

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:46:23 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>> We are having some issues using Dreamweaver (Adobe web design tool)
>> with its data stored in AFS when used from off site via Cisco VPN.
>> We are seeing this in a Mac client but have seen similar issues on Windows
>> too.
>>
>> The machines work fine when connected locally, so I am speculating that
>> there
>> is some time out issue with Dreamweaver if the network is slow, or AFS
>> is slow
>> in retrieving data over a slower then normal network.
>>
>> Has anyone seen any issues with Dreamweaver and AFS?
>
> As soon as you say Cisco VPN I have to ask "which version" and "what
> is the max mtu size that you can send across the VPN"?
>
> Cisco VPN software prior to version 5.0 requires that the max mtu
> of the AFS client be set at a value smaller than 1292.  Otherwise
> the packets are fragmented and dropped.

This is on the Mac OS 10.5.6 and acording to our Network people
the latest Cisco VPN for Mac is 4.9.0.1 (Still trying to get the AFS
client version form the user.)

I think it is a fragmentation thing, as he called earlier today
from on site, and fs checkservrs reported it could not get
to one of the servers, but a few minutes later after doing a traceroute
he said it was working fine!

Is there a way to set the MTU for AFS only on Max OS?

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory