[OpenAFS] windows list permission confusion

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:44:17 -0500

Sean O'Malley <omalleys@msu.edu> wrote:
> Our users are getting confused with the 'list' permission and the
> Windows client. The Windows afs client -will- show 0k files if you
> have the list permission, but in the Windows Explorer "properties
> get/show change permissions" box thing, they see that it is set to
> read-only box is checked when in fact it is not read only, it is list
> only.

Yes, that is what it is supposed to do.  Although I don't think the
"read-only" box is actually checked.  Its greyed out.  It does the same
thing on files on the C: drive.

> In contrast, if they go through the afs->smb gateway, samba
> doesn't show the file because they don't have read permissions. (it
> ignores the list acl.) They either think, the smb-gateways do not
> work, or they lost their files so we end up with a phone call.

So the samba gateway is broken, not the AFS client?

> Can we have the default be "list" doesn't show any files in the
> Explorer? Or at least not have the checkbox come back and say they
> have read-only permissions when in fact they don't. We can
> potentially make an override advance preference for advanced users.
> (I am sure there are good reasons to make list permissions list
> files, however, that is a more advanced topic then some of our users
> can handle.)

I consider the current functionality working as desgined and your
suggested changes as broken.