[OpenAFS] peak vnodes <number> (fwd)

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila@tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:08:15 +0300 (EEST)

Dear Steven,

Thnx a lot for your reply.

>> After moving to 2.6.29 the following started showing up in kernel logs. What
>> does it mean?
>>

>> uname -an
>> Linux tassadar 2.6.29 #1 Sat Mar 28 22:52:51 EET 2009 i686 unknown unknown
>> GNU/Linux
>>

>> dmesg|grep peak|head
>> peak vnodes: 4164
>
> It means that your system had to dynamically allocate some vnodes
> because you needed more than whatever you had provided as an argument
> to afsd (i.e., the '-stat' argument was too low).  Based on what you
> included in your mail, you should probably set your -stat value to at
> least 11000.
>
> Note that you do not have to change your -stat value -- the AFS kernel
> module will use the -stat value as the default starting value and
> increase dynamically as needed.  However, if you provide a higher
> -stat value, you will save some overhead as AFS will not need to do
> the dynamic allocation.
>
> I would be very interested in seeing performance numbers of the two
> configurations (the configuration  you have now vs a configuration
> when you have set -stat to be 11000 or so).

Ok, so it does not mean anything "bad":)

Do you have a particular test in mine I could run to produce some useful
results for you? This is a rather old system which is being heavily
hammered(web server over afs serving a lots of files to the public).

Dimitris Zilaskos
GridAUTH Operations Centre @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
Tel: +302310998988 Fax: +302310994309
http://www.grid.auth.gr