[OpenAFS] /afs area is hanging

Mark Henry mark.henry@infoprint.com
Mon, 4 May 2009 12:19:19 -0600

--=_alternative 0064A36D872575AC_=

I was not able to get the cmdebug output this last time the system crashed
because the user rebooted the system.  We have tried running cmdebug
several times when it is in its hung state and all entries say
none_waiting or similar.  The output looks the same as a working afs
client.

I tried the -fakestat-all option and it did not work.

Here is more background on the issue:  I have an OpenAFS client that works
after each reboot and then eventually hangs when the afs area is accessed.
 I am running openafs 1.4.9 that I compiled on the system (I have tried
many versions of the openafs client with the same results).  The OS is
OpenSUSE 10.3.  I have two other systems with the same OS that are working
fine.

I have searched /var/log/messages.  I have checked the config files.  User
authentication works fine (even when the system is hanging).  If I run the
command 'ls -l /afs' that window is hung (or any other command that
references afs).  If an afs user logs in when the system is in a bad state
the session immediately hangs because it can't cd to the afs home dir.  I
don't know what to do other than reboot.  Can someone tell me what else to
try to find out why this system is hanging?  Thanks,

Mark Henry

Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>
04/29/2009 11:22 AM
Please respond to
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com

Mark Henry <mark.henry@infoprint.com>
cc
openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject
Re: [OpenAFS] /afs area is hanging

Mark Henry wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses.  I am trying the -fakestat-all option
on the
> afsd daemon.  We will see if it works.  Everything works fine for awhile
after
> reboot and then it is just a matter of time before everything that
touches afs
> hangs.  Hopefully this -fakestat-all option helps.
>
> Mark

When the cache manager hangs, execute "cmdebug <hostname>" and send the
output.

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you." _____________________________________________________________________________
--=_alternative 0064A36D872575AC_=

this last time the system crashed because the user rebooted the system.
&nbsp;We have tried running cmdebug several times when it is in its hung
state and all entries say none_waiting or similar. &nbsp;The output looks
the same as a working afs client.</font>
it did not work.</font>
&nbsp;I have an OpenAFS client that works after each reboot and then eventually
hangs when the afs area is accessed. &nbsp;I am running openafs 1.4.9 that
I compiled on the system (I have tried many versions of the openafs client
with the same results). &nbsp;The OS is OpenSUSE 10.3. &nbsp;I have two
other systems with the same OS that are working fine.</font>
have checked the config files. &nbsp;User authentication works fine (even
when the system is hanging). &nbsp;If I run the command 'ls -l /afs' that
window is hung (or any other command that references afs). &nbsp;If an
afs user logs in when the system is in a bad state the session immediately
hangs because it can't cd to the afs home dir. &nbsp;I don't know what
to do other than reboot. &nbsp;Can someone tell me what else to try to
find out why this system is hanging? &nbsp;Thanks,</font>
Mark Henry<br>
&gt; Thank you all for your responses. &nbsp;I am trying the -fakestat-all
option on the<br>
&gt; afsd daemon. &nbsp;We will see if it works. &nbsp;Everything works
fine for awhile after<br>
&gt; reboot and then it is just a matter of time before everything that
touches afs<br>
&gt; hangs. &nbsp;Hopefully this -fakestat-all option helps.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Mark<br>
When the cache manager hangs, execute &quot;cmdebug &lt;hostname&gt;&quot;
and send the<br>
output.<br>

<BR>
"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Thank you." _____________________________________________________________________________<BR>

--=_alternative 0064A36D872575AC_=--