[OpenAFS] Strange kernel messages from yesterday...

Frank Burkhardt fbo2@gmx.net
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:57:37 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:30:10PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Harald Barth wrote:
> >Ext3 works too
> >(server or client), but slower.
> >
> Hm, is ext3 slower if used on server? In that case, anyone checked why?

After some benchmarking a while ago - see here:

 http://fbo.no-ip.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Instantafs/WhichFs

I decided to use ext3 since most people I asked hadn't been happy with
reiser3's stability.

However, hardware configuration mentioned on the benchmark page is no longer
in use here (Core2Quad instead of Xeon, RAID6/Areca instead of RAID5/3Ware).
Maybe some of the filesystems' properties changed, too. I'm currently 95%
happy with ext3. There is just one problem. "Sometimes" (esp. when my
nightly debian mirror script runs), removing a directory takes forever (up
to 10 sconds per rmdir() according to strace) while there's no other load on
either the server and the client.

Regards,

Frank