[OpenAFS] rxk5 Mainline Issues?

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Sat, 07 Nov 2009 16:51:33 -0500

writes Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>:
> something. You should check them out. They're awesome.
>
> Derrick
> with equivalent disingenuous skills to the next guy

The "mainline" terminology comes straight from Simon.  I believe Simon
is pretty thrilled about code revision systems.  But I don't think Evan
is actually talking about the mechanics of how patches get in, although
maybe he is.  I think he's probably talking about a more diffuse set of
topics like how does this fit in with standardization, code quality, code
style, scheduling, testing, priority assessment, managing scope creep,
funding, feature planning, avoiding micromanagement, product release
cycle, and, apparently, whether there exist uniform practices here.  Ie,
all the complicated issues no true blood programmer likes to talk about.
But that's just my guess; I'm sure Evan can help clarify that.

We could also ask Evan if he's thinking more release or merely in source
control, and if a release which branch(s) of distribution, (maybe also
if he intends to transplant patches elsewhere.)  There is also that
fascinating question, why he wants to know anyways (otherwise known as
"what is the right answer to give him?")

					-Marcus Watts