[OpenAFS] Windows 1.5.66 and CellServDB issue.

Richard Brittain Richard.Brittain@dartmouth.edu
Fri, 6 Nov 2009 22:53:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
  just updated to 1.5.66 on Windows XP (32-bit) (which would have been less
confusing if I'd caught up on the mailing list first).

It seems that I can't connect to any file servers for cells not in the
CellServDB file.  I know that DNS lookups are working, because I can
authenticate and do things like checkservers and getserverprefs, but
attempts to browse into the cell gets a failure message.  'fs
getserverprefs' only showed db servers, no file servers.

I usually run windows clients with an empty CellServDB file since my users
rarely need to get off campus, and DNS lookups avoid a file that might go
stale.  When I put the full public CellServDB back in place, everything
worked again.

BTW, I like the reduction in functionality of afscreds - it seems more
natural this way, even on versions of Windows that didn't care about
mixing admin and non-admin functions in one tool.

Richard
--
Richard Brittain,  Kiewit Computing Services, 6224 Baker/Berry Library
                    Dartmouth College, Hanover NH 03755