[OpenAFS] OpenAFS Newsletter, Issue 7, November 2009

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:26:43 -0500

Here is the November 2009 issue of the OpenAFS Newsletter. An HTML
version is available at
http://www.openafs.org/newsletter/newsletter-2009-11-volume001-issue07.html

OpenAFS Newsletter, Issue 7, November 2009
    Welcome to the seventh issue of the OpenAFS newsletter. This newsletter
    summarizes what is happening in the OpenAFS community.

    As always, volunteers, patches, bug reports, or any other type of help
    is greatly appreciated.

    Feedback on this newsletter is welcome. The goal is to summarize the
    various development efforts and news of OpenAFS for the community.
    Please let Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> know what you would
    like to see out of this newsletter. Any news about AFS-related projects
    is welcome and may be submitted to Jason for inclusion in the next
    newsletter.

    The current and past issues of this newsletter are available at
    <http://www.openafs.org/newsletter/>

    Unfortunately, a Nethack pony is all that we have the budget for. ;)

  General OpenAFS Progress
    OpenAFS 1.5.66 was released on October 24. Key highlights include
    support for Windows 7 and Server 2008R2.

    October's discussion of the AFS lock icon was concluded. The OpenAFS
    provider in Network Identity Manager now includes a lock icon which
    shows OpenAFS status and token status similar to the old AFScrds
    program. The network mount functionality in AFScreds is now shipped
    disabled by default.

    Simon Wilkinson and Derrick Brashear put out a call for code reviewers.
    We need people to review the pending changes in Gerrit. Everyone is
    welcome to review some code. It can help those who aren't familiar with
    the code to become more familiar with it. To get started in reviewing,
    go to <http://gerrit.openafs.org> and login using your OpenID
    credentials. Download the patch and apply it to the latest git tree,
    then compile it and test it. Report your results with each patch in
    Gerrit. If you need help getting started, ask on the openafs-devel list,
    the #openafs IRC channel or the Jabber chat room.

    Mike Meffie proposed a finer set of access controls to prevent users
    with admin rights on a folder from giving overly permissive access to
    other users or groups. This is part of a effort to find a safer way to
    deal with public facing AFS sites. We want to encourage people to chime
    in with their ideas and reach a general census so we can move forward
    and improve AFS.

  Events
   Annual Best Practices Workshop
    Plans are already underway for the seventh Workshop, to be held May
    24-28, 2010, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We hope
    to see you there.

   European AFS Conference
    The date for the 3rd European AFS & Kerberos Conference has been set.
    The conference will take place in Pilsen, Czech Republic, from September
    13 to September 15, 2010. More details are forthcoming and will be
    posted at <http://afs2010.civ.zcu.cz>.

  Projects
   AFS Protocol Standardization
    Two more proposals came out of the Edinburg AFS Hackathon, but haven't
    been discussed much on the afs-standardization list:

    *   http://www.dementia.org/~shadow/draft-brashear-afs3-pts-extended-nam
        es-00.html

    *   http://openafs.sinenomine.net/~tkeiser/draft-tkeiser-rxrpc-sec-clear
        -00.html

    Mike Meffie reformatted Nickolai Zeldovich's draft Rx protocol
    specification (from 2002) as an Internet Draft and, with his permission,
    is sharing it.

    The reformatted document is available via http and AFS at:

    <http://openafs.sinenomine.net/~mmeffie/rfc/draft-zeldovich-rx-spec-00.h
    tml>

    /afs/sinenomine.net/user/mmeffie/public/rfc/draft-zeldovich-rx-spec-00.h
    tml

    [Ed.: I give my thanks to Simon Wilkinson for providing an excellent
    summary of the current status of the proposals. Most of this section was
    taken from one of Simon's emails.]

    Discussion on these proposals is welcome and should be done on the
    AFS3-standardization list at
    <http://michigan-openafs-lists.central.org/mailman/listinfo/afs3-standar
    dization>

   AFS Callback Extensions
    <http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-benjamin-extendedcallbackinfo-00.txt>

    We need to decide whether we're going to wait for the RPC refresh
    changes before publishing extended callbacks. My belief is that that's
    the only factor currently delaying this document. The question here,
    essentially, is whether anyone would deploy extended callbacks before
    deploying updated RPCs. To date, nobody has said they would do so.

    --Simon Wilkinson

   DNS SRV Resource Records for AFS
    <http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-allbery-afs-srv-records-01.txt>

        I think this is pretty much done from our perspective. In this
        draft's case, I think it's perfectly fair to get it published
        through the IETF, as an individual submission, given it updates a
        protocol element (AFSDB records) that are already specified in an
        RFC.

        We have two problems that are delaying this, and other initiatives:

        The first is that there has been no movement since last year on
        establishing a clearer footing for the work done on this
        [afs3-standardization] list. The draft I published suggests that the
        g.c.o registrars bootstrap the process, but so far they haven't had
        sufficient time to do so. At some point, if they remain unable to
        get it off the ground, we're going to have to come up with another
        mechanism.

        There is also a general issue about how to publish the wider set of
        AFS protocol documents - the current proposal is that they go
        through the independent submission stream, and eventually appear as
        RFCs. To date, I don't think we've approached anyone with regards to
        this plan, and the whole RFC publishing processing is going through
        significant change at present. We need to resolve this before things
        like extended callbacks can move forwards.

        --Simon Wilkinson

        I've received no responses since version -01 of the draft, so I was
        about to ask about what the next step is. Should I make a last call
        for comments here and then approach the IESG about publication?

        --Russ Allbery

   Demand-Attach FileServer (DAFS)
    Project Contacts:

    *   Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>

    *   Tom Keiser <tkeiser@sinenomine.net>

    *   Mike Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net>

    A fix for 124484 (volserver salvages) is in gerrit 787 and is undergoing
    review. We believe this to be the last 'critical' DAFS issue, so we
    would encourage that anyone with an interest in using DAFS test DAFS
    with that fix. There are still other (mostly performance-related) issues
    we are continuing to work on, but we know of no other critical
    DAFS-specific problems.

    --Andrew

   Mac OS X OpenAFS Preference Pane
    Project Contact:

    *   Claudio Bisegni <Claudio.Bisegni@lnf.infn.it>

    The only update is the automatic link creation on the Desktop for custom
    paths. Now, I'm trying to see if I can use FUSE to make these paths
    mountable as real volumes.

    --Claudio

   Better Documentation
    Project Contacts:

    *   Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>

    *   Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com>

    Several man page updates have gone into the tree since last month, but I
    don't think there's been any significant progress on the larger
    documents.

    One useful documentation project that we could ask for volunteers to
    work on is writing man pages for the new binaries that were added as
    part of the demand-attach file server work.

    --Russ

   Kerberos v5 and multiple encryption types
    Project Contacts:

    *   Matt Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com>

    *   Marcus Watts <mwd@umich.edu>

    Simon and I discussed some of the issues yesterday via XMPP. We agree
    there are lots of things Marcus and I can do, but a lot of things become
    easier and more useful to do when upstream is ready start thinking about
    rxk5 in detail. Simon pointed out that once 1.6 branches, rxk5 patches
    can flow onto head--and that means that folks can start reviewing
    changes for potential merge. Even if it takes a while to get through
    them, that's the most efficient process to be on, and the sooner we can
    start it, the more productive we can be.

    --Matt

   S3 Front-end for AFS
    Project Contacts:

    *   Fabrizio Manfredi <fabrizio.manfredi@gmail.com>

    *   Claudio Bisegni <Claudio.Bisegni@lnf.infn.it>

    Small description of S3AFS:

    First of all, Amazon S3 provides a simple web services interface that
    can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from
    anywhere on the web.

    S3AFS is a web application, it provides a local implementation of the S3
    service. This can be useful if you want to make use of the Amazon S3 web
    service interface but host the storage on your own OpenAFS cell. The
    first step of the project is mapping the OpenAFS resources to a S3
    client, then you can read your file and directory as a key of a S3
    bucket. The second step is to use OpenAFS as an S3 backend.

    We have a basic implementation, without authentication and authz, we now
    start to understand how to put Authentication (SetAG) in the java multi
    thread env.

    Progress:

    We have a proof of concept, which was presented at the Workshop in Rome,
    and we have finished the design and started coding in Java for the
    production release. We hope to release a preview in December without ACL
    handling. We have to fix some compilation problems in the Java lib in
    the 1.5.x, which has not been submitted yet.

    --Fabrizio

   Active Directory Backend for Ptserver
    Project Contacts:

    *   Fabrizio Manfredi <fabrizio.manfredi@gmail.com>

    *   Claudio Bisegni <Claudio.Bisegni@lnf.infn.it>

    Ptserver-Ng is a custom implementation of the ptserver with an Active
    Directory backend instead of Ubik db. Today, more institutions ask to me
    a more generic interface in special way for ldap connection. The new
    project is focused on a plugin architecture for a multi-backend
    implementation. The first step is to create a more generic database API
    (ptdb) and move all the ubik code into this new infrastructure. Second
    step is to create a proxy read/write backend and more generic AD (read
    only) backend.

    We have finished the interface definition, we start to move the existing
    ubik code, no release date are available.

   Virtual Machine Images
    Project Contact:

    *   Fabrizio Manfredi <fabrizio.manfredi@gmail.com>

    I have created a set of virtual machines. In this way, everyone can try
    and test OpenAFS without installing it.

    You can find the VM at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/s3afs/files/

    --Fabrizio

   Pthreaded Ubik
    Project Contact:

    *   Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com>

    Steven has changed employers and email addresses.

    There are no updates to the Pthreaded Ubik project. It will not appear
    in future newsletters unless there is an update.

   Userspace cache manager
    Project Contact:

    *   Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net>

    I'm in the middle of adding support for ACL and mountpoint manipulation
    (and in general, making pioctl emulation work). Once that is working to
    a certain degree, I should be able to work on getting this suitable for
    merging in mainline. If anyone wants to use this before then, just ask.

    I'd also like to note that apparently it may be possible to emulate PAGs
    in linux userspace. So, a fully-featured FUSE client is not as
    impossible as I once thought, and may someday exist.

    --Andrew

   Projects with no progress or no update
    *   Disconnected AFS support

    *   Rx OSD integration & Raw Vicep Access in Clients

    *   Extended Callback Information

    *   *BSD Support

    *   OpenAFS Server Preference Based on Network Conditions

  Gerrit Activity
    To review a change, go to http://gerrit.openafs.org/#change,NUM where
    NUM is the Change# shown in the lists below.

   Statistics
     Number of patches waiting for review: 36

     Patches merged into the master branch:
     Month   Number of Commits
     2009-11   56  (Partial month)
     2009-10  154
     2009-09  142
     2009-08   78
     2009-07  181

     Patches merged into the stable branch:
     Month   Number of Commits
     2009-11  15  (Partial month)
     2009-10   7
     2009-09   8
     2009-08  17
     2009-07   5

   Patches waiting for review
     Date       Author         Change# Description
     2009-11-19 Michael Meffie   (619) volser transaction object race
conditions
     2009-11-19 Andrew Deason    (786) Expand ProgramType enumeration
     2009-11-19 Marc Dionne      (847) src/pam warning fixes
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (845) Define afs_maxvcount everywhere
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (846) Define WCOREDUMP in salvsync-server.c
     2009-11-18 Simon Wilkinson  (838) Kernel is always defined
     2009-11-18 Mickey Lane      (840) Fix 2 errors in Windows release Notes
     2009-11-18 Simon Wilkinson  (837) Move GLOCK initialisation to
platform directories
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (709) Break origin's callback for
RXAFS_Rename target
     2009-11-18 Simon Wilkinson  (796) Add printf format checks to the
rest of tree
     2009-11-16 Jeffrey Altman   (829) Windows: Permit custom version
numbers and default cellname
     2009-11-15 Jeffrey Altman   (827) Windows: Improvements to
background fetch processing
     2009-11-15 Jeffrey Altman   (824) Windows: cm_BkgDaemon requeuing
only applies to BkgStore
     2009-11-15 Jeffrey Altman   (828) Windows: buf_DirtyBuffersExist
uses fileHashp not allp list pointer
     2009-11-14 Marc Dionne      (730) Linux: Keyrings PAG handling changes
     2009-11-13 Andrew Deason    (736) Correct duplicate special inodes
while salvaging
     2009-11-13 Rainer Toebbicke (799) Flexible client buffer growth
     2009-11-13 Simon Wilkinson  (820) Fix prepare and commit_write to
do the right thing
     2009-11-12 Andrew Deason    (787) DAFS: Allow non-fileserver to
schedule salvages
     2009-11-12 Simon Wilkinson  (792) Add printf format checks to the
cache manager
     2009-11-12 Derrick Brashear (783) conservative dynamic vcache fix
for 14x
     2009-11-12 Andrew Deason    (776) Check for (hostFlags &
HOSTDELETED) after h_Lock_r
     2009-11-12 Simon Wilkinson  (795) Add printf format checks to rx
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (726) Linux: Use atomics for credential
reference counts
     2009-11-08 Simon Wilkinson  (793) Add printf format checks to
util's log functions
     2009-11-08 Simon Wilkinson  (794) Add printf format checks to
afs_com_err()
     2009-11-04 Derrick Brashear (451) macos knote fsevents hinting
     2009-11-04 Andrew Deason    (436) Avoid unnecessarily updating ..
in SAFSS_Rename
     2009-11-04 Evan Broder      (778) Increase the maximum number of
sysnames
     2009-11-04 Michael Meffie   (215) Print throttled packet counts
with rxdebug
     2009-10-26 Jacob Thebault-Spieker (433) Add throughput framework to
cm_RankServer()
     2009-09-09 Matt Benjamin    (435) clear stat flag on renamed
directories
     2009-08-29 Matt Benjamin    (376) K5SSL by Marcus Watts
     2009-08-27 Jeffrey Altman   (319) Use xdr_alloc and xdr_free within
ptuser
     2009-07-29 Michael Meffie   (147) Fix bosserver directory creation
     2009-07-24 Hartmut Reuter    (70) preparing rxosd integration:
change in AFSFetchStatus

   Patches merged into the master branch
     Date       Author         Change# Description
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (842) Define T_SRV when not defined for us
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (843) src/afs/afs_user.c typo
     2009-11-18 Andrew Deason    (844) AIX: Missing brace in
afs_vnop_flock.c
     2009-11-18 Matt Benjamin    (584) viced ihandle boost
     2009-11-18 Simon Wilkinson  (839) Name chunkOps structure elements
     2009-11-18 Michael Meffie   (841) fix for volser transaction object
race conditions
     2009-11-18 Simon Wilkinson  (835) Linux: Fix lock ordering
     2009-11-18 Marc Dionne      (836) aklog build fix: com_err.h header
     2009-11-17 Simon Wilkinson  (834) Rationalise our include paths
     2009-11-17 Derrick Brashear (832) ktc remove unused variable
     2009-11-17 Simon Wilkinson  (822) Translate messages from ktc_SetToken
     2009-11-17 Simon Wilkinson  (821) Better errors from aklog
     2009-11-17 Derrick Brashear (818) asm unexecutable stack
     2009-11-16 Jeffrey Altman   (825) Windows: Code signing with
cross-signed certificates
     2009-11-16 Jeffrey Altman   (831) Windows: Use STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
where STATUS_TIMEOUT was returned
     2009-11-16 Jeffrey Altman   (826) Windows: Error mapping for VBUSY
and VRESTARTING
     2009-11-15 Jeffrey Altman   (830) Windows: Fix port assignment to
use network byte order
     2009-11-15 Jeffrey Altman   (791) Windows: ports in the cache
manager are stored in network byte order
     2009-11-13 Andrew Deason    (815) Make ktc_curpag also detect
ONEGROUP PAG gids
     2009-11-13 Simon Wilkinson  (819) Use set_page_writeback and
end_page_writeback
     2009-11-11 Marc Dionne      (797) Linux: Use the kernel's
credentials structure
     2009-11-11 Andrew Deason    (814) Do not check *aoutSize in PGetPAG
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (813) Update warning inhibition
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (812) Prototype kalog_Init
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (811) const char paths for ubik_ServerInit
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (810) Fix des key type issue in bosoprocs
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (809) Prototype UV_Bind
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (807) Remove 'M' variants of lock macros
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (808) Fix warnings from
afsconf_SetExtendedCellInfo
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (806) Include signal.h for sigfillset
     2009-11-11 Marc Dionne      (804) krb_udp.c warning fix
     2009-11-11 Michael Meffie   (800) cm: address race condition in
afs_QueueVCB
     2009-11-11 Simon Wilkinson  (805) cr_gid is already used by Darwin
     2009-11-11 Marc Dionne      (803) src/pam/afs_auth.c warning fix
     2009-11-10 Derrick Brashear (801) unix srv record network byte
order fix
     2009-11-10 Russ Allbery     (798) Update afsd cache and firewall
details
     2009-11-10 Simon Wilkinson  (802) Fix locking in FlushVCBs when
called from discon
     2009-11-09 Marc Dionne      (768) Unix client: wrappers for
credentials structure access
     2009-11-09 Michael Meffie   (764) viced: avoid useless core if
shutdown during initialization
     2009-11-08 Simon Wilkinson  (789) Add printf-style format checking
     2009-11-08 Simon Wilkinson  (785) Complete removal of DUX client code
     2009-11-08 Marc Dionne      (790) Linux: always use
afs_maybe_unlock_kernel
     2009-11-08 Simon Wilkinson  (784) Move vnode macros to their own
directories
     2009-11-07 Simon Wilkinson  (788) Add error_table.c to gitignore in
comerr
     2009-11-05 Andrew Deason    (782) Cleanup VOffline log message
     2009-11-05 Simon Wilkinson  (781) Prevent VLRUQ race in
ShakeLooseVCaches
     2009-11-04 Rainer Toebbicke (756) Correct diskused and files when
cloning a volume
     2009-11-04 Derrick Brashear (772) macos fstrace msgcat search path
     2009-11-04 Derrick Brashear (771) macos 10.6 64bit trace fixes
     2009-11-04 Marc Dionne      (752) Linux - Fix disk cache access for
selinux/AppArmor constrained processes
     2009-11-03 Andrew Deason    (716) Check for (hostFlags &
HOSTDELETED) after h_Lock_r
     2009-11-03 Andrew Deason    (765) DAFS: Avoid SALVSYNC
communication during shutdown
     2009-11-03 Andrew Deason    (769) DAFS: Wait for exclusive ops in
FSYNC_VOL_OFF
     2009-11-02 Dan Hyde         (757) Add array bounds checking in
h_Enumerate
     2009-11-02 Marc Dionne      (759) Linux: Fix write_begin configure
test for recent RHEL kernels
     2009-11-02 Marc Dionne      (758) Fix memory allocation warnings at
shutdown
     2009-10-30 Marc Dionne      (753) Linux: remove unused cr->next
member in struct afs_cred
     2009-10-29 Simon Wilkinson  (754) Cleanup cache bypass
     2009-10-29 Andrew Deason    (747) Avoid using released hosts
     2009-10-29 Simon Wilkinson  (751) Coding style cleanup
     2009-10-28 Simon Wilkinson  (744) Make afsd.pod reflect reality
     2009-10-28 Simon Wilkinson  (748) Move PMTU header block to top of file
     2009-10-27 Andrew Deason    (717) Avoid prematurely destroying
callback_rxcon
     2009-10-26 Marc Dionne      (742) afs_buffer.c: fix uninitialized
variable warning
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (741) Use fewer #ifdefs for dynamic vcaches
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (743) Make cache bypass build again
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (738) Remove hardcoded maximum time
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (740) Fix dynamic vcache / rxmaxmtu cmd
id collision
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (739) Remove pininodes
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (737) Fix locking in afs_buffer.c
     2009-10-26 Andrew Deason    (735) Dec old special inodes in inode
convertROtoRW
     2009-10-26 Matt Benjamin    (268) viced (non atomic)
refcount/more-threads
     2009-10-26 Jeffrey Altman   (733) ubik_VL_GetAddrsU does not accept
a VLCallBack parameter
     2009-10-26 Andrew Deason    (734) Avoid 'salvageserver -client
-showlog' segfault
     2009-10-26 Jeffrey Altman   (729) Updates to Jake's RTT based
server ranking (Gerrit 317)
     2009-10-26 Jacob Thebault-Spieker (317) Adds cm_RankUpServers() and
cm_RankServer()
     2009-10-26 Simon Wilkinson  (732) Clean up console message
     2009-10-25 Simon Wilkinson  (725) Don't return
AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE to write()
     2009-10-25 Simon Wilkinson  (724) Use user credentials for Linux
writepage()
     2009-10-23 Derrick Brashear (723) windows 1.5.66
     2009-10-23 Derrick Brashear (722) make 1.5.66 for unix
     2009-10-23 Michael Meffie   (718) volser transaction object race
conditions
     2009-10-23 Simon Wilkinson  (721) Resolve error return issues in
writepage
     2009-10-23 Jeffrey Altman   (715) Remove warning from all calls to
afsconf_GetExtendedCellInfo
     2009-10-23 Jeffrey Altman   (720) Windows: Notes for 1.5.66
     2009-10-23 Jeffrey Altman   (719) Windows: Updates to Release Notes
     2009-10-22 Simon Wilkinson  (712) Refactor writepage_sync
     2009-10-22 Derrick Brashear (703) pthread pid casting
     2009-10-22 Jeffrey Altman   (714) Windows: no longer use WinExec in
afscreds
     2009-10-22 Jeffrey Altman   (713) rx lwp include assert.h where
AFS_NT40_ENV builds can see it
     2009-10-22 Jeffrey Altman   (711) Windows: Update Control Panel to
use ShellExecuteEx instead of WinExec
     2009-10-22 Derrick Brashear (710) remove spurious log in icl
     2009-10-22 Simon Wilkinson  (708) Add -Wpointer-arith to warning
and checking builds
     2009-10-21 Derrick Brashear (668) rx don't exit
     2009-10-21 Simon Wilkinson  (707) Fix fall out from removal of
memset casts
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (706) Windows: Update MSI installer
properties
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (705) Windows: ports in the cache
manager are stored in network byte order
     2009-10-21 Asanka Herath    (704) Windows: Set the
ARPINSTALLLOCATION property when installing
     2009-10-21 Simon Wilkinson  (701) Don't cast the pointer past to memset
     2009-10-21 Matt Benjamin    (645) Make typedefs of AFS_UCRED and
AFS_PROC with renaming
     2009-10-21 Andrew Deason    (693) HPUX: Do not sigwait on critical
signals
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (700) Windows: Add registry entries for
rx_SetMinPeerTimeout, rx_SetMaxRecvWindow, rx_SetMaxSendWindow
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (663) Windows: Modify afscreds.exe and
afs_config.exe to be UAC compatible
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (699) Add rx_SetMinPeerTimeout and
rx_GetMinPeerTimeout
     2009-10-21 Simon Wilkinson  (692) Use real names for page lock
operations
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (697) Windows: Do not permit infinite
attempts to obtain a pioctl file handle
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (698) Windows: digital signatures are
required for resource dlls
     2009-10-21 Jeffrey Altman   (661) Windows: Adjust error return values
     2009-10-20 Derrick Brashear (549) rx window size increase
     2009-10-20 Derrick Brashear (694) afscp warnings cleanup
     2009-10-20 Jeffrey Altman   (696) prevent rx peer timeout from
reaching 0.0 seconds
     2009-10-20 Jeffrey Altman   (695) Rx warning removal
     2009-10-20 Jeffrey Altman   (690) Windows: AFS_PTR_FMT is just 'p'
     2009-10-20 Andrew Deason    (691) Avoid 'static __inline' on HPUX
     2009-10-20 Simon Wilkinson  (689) Remove pageoff macro
     2009-10-19 Jeffrey Altman   (686) Add server prefix to bumon.xg;
avoid rx_call * vs rx_connection * warning
     2009-10-19 Simon Wilkinson  (687) Return both error codes for
rxfs_fetchInit
     2009-10-19 Simon Wilkinson  (685) Always unlock pages when
returning from writepage
     2009-10-19 Andrew Deason    (684) Fix a couple more unlink()s in
vol-salvage.c
     2009-10-19 Asanka Herath    (683) Windows: Add a token status icon
to the NIM plug-in
     2009-10-19 Claudio Bisegni  (682) AFSPreference Pane Mounts View
refresh issue
     2009-10-19 Claudio Bisegni  (677) OpenAFS Preference Pane 64bit and
Symbolic Link features implemented.
     2009-10-19 Andrew Deason    (681) Fix format warnings in
tviced/state_analyzer.c
     2009-10-19 Andrew Deason    (680) Prototype
encode_krb5_enc_tkt_part for aklog
     2009-10-19 Andrew Deason    (678) Fix a couple of size_t warnings
     2009-10-19 Andrew Deason    (679) Prototype ka_log
     2009-10-18 Simon Wilkinson  (675) Fix warnings in tviced
     2009-10-18 Andrew Deason    (671) Log error messages in volser i/o
errors
     2009-10-18 Simon Wilkinson  (673) More warning fixes for kauth
     2009-10-18 Simon Wilkinson  (672) Update warning management
     2009-10-18 Simon Wilkinson  (676) Use ranlib -c for Mac OS X Leopard
     2009-10-17 Simon Wilkinson  (674) afs_Conn must be called within
the analyze loop
     2009-10-17 Jeffrey Altman   (670) Windows: Always compute time
remaining in cm_Analyze
     2009-10-17 Jeffrey Altman   (669) Windows: mark volume status
online during cm_MergeStatus
     2009-10-16 Marc Dionne      (657) Linux: kmem_cache_create fix and
cleanup
     2009-10-16 Andrew Deason    (664) Fix rxgen-generated warnings
     2009-10-16 Derrick Brashear (667) exit less
     2009-10-16 Derrick Brashear (666) snowleopard 64 bit warning death
     2009-10-15 Andrew Deason    (647) Detect and use %zu for size_t
when available
     2009-10-15 Andrew Deason    (665) Fix unitialized variable warning
in cfghost.c
     2009-10-15 Jeffrey Altman   (654) Windows: AFSVolSync creationDate
based readonly volume versioning
     2009-10-15 Jeffrey Altman   (662) Windows does not provide sys/wait.h
     2009-10-15 Andrew Deason    (635) Fix warnings in butc, tbutc, and butm
     2009-10-15 Simon Wilkinson  (639) Fix checked builds with gcc4.2
     2009-10-14 Derrick Brashear (594) add SRV record lookups to unix
afsconf support suite also
     2009-10-14 Simon Wilkinson  (660) Add fsint dependency to audit builds
     2009-10-14 Jeffrey Altman   (651) Windows: refactor afs status
cloning and clone when fs fetchdata bug detected
     2009-10-14 Jeffrey Altman   (659) Revert "Windows: Readonly Volume
Versioning for Windows Cache Manager"
     2009-10-14 Jeffrey Altman   (658) Windows: fix build due to broken
src/volser/NTMakefile
     2009-10-14 Marc Dionne      (656) Linux: Remove declaration of
unused variable filp
     2009-10-13 Jeffrey Altman   (648) Windows: If SecurityLevel is
configured use it for vos.exe and pts.exe
     2009-10-13 Andrew Deason    (650) Use f_bsize for ZFS afs_fsfragsize
     2009-10-13 Simon Wilkinson  (636) Add public protoypes for volser
     2009-10-12 Andrew Deason    (649) Formatting typos in pts.pod
     2009-10-12 Simon Wilkinson  (637) Add afsio to gitignore
     2009-10-12 Jeffrey Altman   (579) Windows: Readonly Volume
Versioning for Windows Cache Manager
     2009-10-12 Jeffrey Altman   (643) Windows Explorer Shell Extension:
Remove OutputDebugString calls
     2009-10-12 Jeffrey Altman   (646) Windows: Correct lock error codes
and log file server lockCount
     2009-10-12 Jeffrey Altman   (580) Improve accuracy of Rx RTT
calculation by skipping retransmitted packets
     2009-10-11 Matt Benjamin    (642) Use AFS_PROC consistently
     2009-10-11 Simon Wilkinson  (640) Revert "Linux: kmem_cache_create
fix and cleanup"
     2009-10-10 Jeffrey Altman   (607) Windows: use port when finding
server by address
     2009-10-10 Jeffrey Altman   (634) Windows: Prevent fs fetchdata
offset bug error from propagating to caller
     2009-10-09 Andrew Deason    (597) Fix warnings in kauth/authclient.c
     2009-10-09 Andrew Deason    (600) Fix warnings in rxkad
     2009-10-09 Andrew Deason    (592) Correct and use AFS_SIZET_FMT
     2009-10-09 Marc Dionne      (621) Linux: kmem_cache_create fix and
cleanup
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (620) Fix warning in vol/namei_ops.c
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (618) Update README with solved/pending
docs tasks
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (617) Update backup suite manpages
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (616) Update fstrace suite manpages
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (615) Minimal left docs updates for vos
suite
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (612) Typo in vos_remsite.pod
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (610) Add POD links (L<>) in pts.pod
and symlink.pod
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (609) Update vos suite manpages
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (608) Allow check-pod to work on
specific files or dirs
     2009-10-08 Davor Ocelic     (611) Update readme with solved and
pending tasks
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (602) Reduce warnings in vos.c
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (599) Remove warnings related to
type-punning
     2009-10-08 Jeffrey Altman   (606) Windows: use xdr_alloc to
allocate memory for Callback data structs
     2009-10-08 Marc Dionne      (605) authclient.c: fix 64-bit specific
warnings
     2009-10-08 Jeffrey Altman   (604) Add missing variable to afsio
     2009-10-08 Derrick Brashear (593) Permit DNS SRV record lookups to
be used by the Windows afsconf_GetAfsdbInfo
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (603) xdrproc_t functions take a
caddr_t, not caddr_t*
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (601) Ignore libafsrpc warnings for
shlibafsrpc also
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (598) Fix warnings in lwp/process.c
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (596) Remove a pointer->integer warning
in fstrace.c
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (595) Prototype strcasestr in afsmonitor.c
     2009-10-07 Michael Meffie   (216) Allow gnu-style long options
     2009-10-07 Hartmut Reuter   (590) pioctl with VIOC_FS_CMD removed
     2009-10-07 Jeffrey Altman   (587) Build afsio on Windows; remove
many warnings
     2009-10-07 Andrew Deason    (591) Make namei convertROtoRW'd
volumes usable
     2009-10-07 Simon Wilkinson  (581) Use page_offset() on Linux
     2009-10-07 Jeffrey Altman   (585) Windows: fs listacl -cmd
     2009-10-06 Jeffrey Altman   (586) documentation for "fs listacl -cmd"
     2009-10-06 Derrick Brashear (577) afs_FindService should handle
iana portnames
     2009-10-06 Hartmut Reuter   (556) New option '-cmd' for 'fs listacl'
     2009-10-05 Simon Wilkinson  (582) Use standard Linux paths for all
headers
     2009-10-05 Claudio Bisegni  (578) OSX Launchd Startup Manage  with
Preference Pane
     2009-10-05 Hartmut Reuter   (555) afsio is a command to pipe data
into or out of afs files
     2009-10-04 Marc Dionne      (574) Linux: 2.6.32 - Adapt to
writeback changes
     2009-10-04 Marc Dionne      (573) rxfs_storePadd: return 0 on success
     2009-10-03 Simon Wilkinson  (569) Refactor linux readpage support
     2009-10-03 Simon Wilkinson  (568) Rationalise some #ifdefs in the
LINUX osi layer
     2009-10-03 Simon Wilkinson  (567) Remove pre-Linux 2.6 support
     2009-10-03 Simon Wilkinson  (572) There can be only one ... MD5
     2009-10-03 Derrick Brashear (565) create LINUX24 directory
     2009-10-03 Derrick Brashear (564) launchdaemon support for MacOS
     2009-10-01 Simon Wilkinson  (566) Remove page past end of file
optimisations
     2009-10-01 Andrew Deason    (563) DAFS: Wait until preattach to
service FSSYNC reqs

   Patches merged into the stable branch
     Date       Author         Change# Description
     2009-11-16 Anders Kaseorg   (823) Clean up console message
     2009-11-11 Michael Meffie   (817) cm: address race condition in
afs_QueueVCB
     2009-11-11 Andrew Deason    (816) Do not check *aoutSize in PGetPAG
     2009-11-05 Marc Dionne      (767) Fix memory allocation warnings at
shutdown
     2009-11-05 Marc Dionne      (766) Linux: Fix write_begin configure
test for recent RHEL kernels
     2009-11-04 Derrick Brashear (780) macos 10.6 64bit trace fixes
     2009-11-04 Russ Allbery     (779) .gitignore for src/pinstall
     2009-11-04 Russ Allbery     (777) Always use kbuild for all Linux
kernel configure probes
     2009-11-04 Marc Dionne      (774) Linux - Fix disk cache access for
selinux/AppArmor constrained processes
     2009-11-04 Russ Allbery     (775) Build shadow header files when
necessary on Linux
     2009-11-04 Russ Allbery     (773) Make afsd.pod reflect reality
     2009-11-02 Andrew Deason    (762) Avoid using released hosts
     2009-11-02 Andrew Deason    (763) Protect rx_call iovq from
simultaneous attempts to empty it
     2009-11-02 Andrew Deason    (761) Dec old special inodes in inode
convertROtoRW
     2009-11-02 Marc Dionne      (760) Linux: Avoid deadlock in readdir
- release GLOCK for filldir
     2009-10-30 Marc Dionne      (755) Linux: 2.6.32 - Adapt to
writeback changes
     2009-10-28 Andrew Deason    (749) Avoid prematurely destroying
callback_rxcon
     2009-10-21 Andrew Deason    (702) HPUX: Do not sigwait on critical
signals
     2009-10-14 Andrew Deason    (655) Use f_bsize for ZFS afs_fsfragsize
     2009-10-13 Andrew Deason    (653) Remove extra arguments to
afs_syscall_call
     2009-10-13 Andrew Deason    (652) Make namei_ops.c build again
     2009-10-08 Andrew Deason    (613) Make namei convertROtoRW'd
volumes usable
     2009-09-27 Russ Allbery     (500) viced cap fetchdata len to avoid
negative
     2009-09-26 Russ Allbery     (497) h_GetHost_r cleanup cases
     2009-09-23 Andrew Deason    (490) Implement _PC_FILESIZEBITS for
solaris pathconf
     2009-09-16 Russ Allbery     (462) Add automatic sysname detection
for ARM Linux
     2009-09-15 Russ Allbery     (459) fileserver should actually retry
VL_RegisterAddrs on failure
     2009-09-14 Simon Wilkinson  (457) Init the vrequest structure correctly
     2009-09-03 Andrew Deason    (398) Update accessDate on volume access
     2009-09-01 Felix Frank      (342) Fixed out-of-tree builds.
     2009-08-31 Michael Meffie   (386) Build on linux 2.4 again
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (366) macos 10.5 doesn't support
compiler kext flag
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (363) update decode-panic for 10.6
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (362) macos 10.6 64 bit support
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (361) macos rc script server handling
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (360) macos 10.6 updates
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (359) macos 10.6 package naming
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (358) macos 10.6 amd64 kmod build fix
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (357) macos 10.6 pam support
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (356) OSX lock initialization cleanup
     2009-08-28 Derrick Brashear (355) MacOS 10.6 support update
     2009-08-10 Andrew Deason    (280) Add additional vlprocs safety checks
     2009-08-10 Andrew Deason    (275) Allow specifying vos
create/addsite volume IDs
     2009-08-10 Andrew Deason    (274) Ignore SIGSYS when issuing pioctl
syscall
     2009-08-07 Andrew Deason    (273) Correcting formatting typo in vos
addsite manpage
     2009-08-07 Andrew Deason    (272) Always display vnode accesses in
vos output
     2009-08-07 Andrew Deason    (271) Fixing manpage for vos addsite -valid
     2009-07-24 Russ Allbery     (208) Make ktc_curpag generally available
     2009-07-22 Jeffrey Hutzelman (180) Fix afs_GetVolume() for non-root
dynroot FIDs
     2009-07-22 Simon Wilkinson  (174) Remove the RCSID macro
     2009-07-22 Simon Wilkinson  (173) Remove CVS ignore files
     2009-07-22 Simon Wilkinson  (172) Revise git ignore files

  Resolved Tickets
    Here is a list of tickets that have been resolved since October 1, 2009:

      ticket # state     created       title
        15160: resolved  Sep 07, 2004  Windows, Global Drives as SYSTEM...
        15714: resolved  Oct 21, 2004  Windows: Remove submount creation
as a side effect of AFS drive mapping
        16733: resolved  Dec 08, 2004  Windows; Trojan horse in a
1.3.74  installer
        61118: resolved  May 08, 2007  CPU Load after Starting AFS Service
        73105: resolved  Oct 03, 2007  tokens -h / tokens -help
        82701: resolved  Jan 11, 2008  AFS Client icon disappears from
taskbar
        90994: resolved  Mar 20, 2008  Bug:  OpenAFS client for Windows
1.3.5 does not cleanup Registry during Uninstall
        92944: resolved  Apr 03, 2008  [OpenAFS-devel] SELinux biting
OpenAFS [Cache manager using the wrong SELinux context]
       119102: resolved  Oct 03, 2008  convert OpenAFS CVS to git
       123575: resolved  Oct 30, 2008  Opening on two windows clients a
MS Word Document
       124337: resolved  Feb 11, 2009  Windows 7 beta and AFS drives
       124498: resolved  Mar 18, 2009  panic on solaris 10 running 1.4.8
       125402: resolved  Sep 15, 2009  oafs win 1.5.63 - writing profile
to afs failures
       125421: resolved  Sep 23, 2009  Vista ultimate and 1.6.64 "\\AFS
not reachable\
       125475: resolved  Oct 08, 2009  OpenAFS on kernel 2.6.32 triggers
WARNING at fs/fs-writeback.c:1112
       125486: resolved  Oct 10, 2009  Uninstall.command Open AFS v1.565
       125510: resolved  Oct 17, 2009  OpenAFS on windows permission
denied on RO with client not reachable
       125544: resolved  Oct 27, 2009  BUG at osi_file.c:87 with AppArmor
       125555: resolved  Oct 30, 2009  OpenAFS 1.4.11 crash on RHEL 5
update 4 systems