[OpenAFS] Windows XP OpenAFS 1.5.66 UNC paths not working

John W. Sopko Jr. sopko@cs.unc.edu
Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:14:55 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote, On 11/23/2009 8:47 AM:
> John W. Sopko Jr. wrote:
>> We have installed OpenAFS for Windows 1.5.66 on 2 Windows XP SP3
>> machines and cannot get \\afs\cell_name UNC paths to work.
>>
>> We have many older 1.5.55 clients using both kfw and kaserver
>> authentication and the UNC paths work. We have been moving off
>> drive letters to UNC paths for sometime.
>>
>> We can get AFS tokens from the kaserver or via netid mananger and
>> kfw under the 1.5.66 client but UNC paths do not work. The AFS Microsoft
>> loopback adapter appears to be installed correctly.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks!
>
> This is a bug in 1.5.66.

Why is it a bug? Is the plan to eventually use the SRV record
in place of the AFSDB record for clients?

> If the site relies on AFSDB records, either
> stick with 1.5.65 or add the new DNS SRV records for
>
>   _afs3-vlserver._udp.<cellname> IN SRV 0 0 7003

We added the SRV record and things seem to be working. I am using
on a 1.5.66 with KFW.

--
John W. Sopko Jr.               University of North Carolina
email: sopko AT cs.unc.edu      Computer Science Dept., CB 3175