[OpenAFS] The removal of afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe on Windows Vista and Windows 7: Seeking Opinions

Wed, 14 Oct 2009 05:59:19 -0400

Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> For Ragge I'm wondering if the benefit he is seeking is that of the AFS
>> centric identity or the fact that the lock is easier to describe than
>> the NetIdMgr cube which either contains an identity, an expired
>> identity, or none at all.
>>
> Exactly.  It's much easier to ask whether people see a padlock without a
> red cross
> than asking them to open the NetIdMgr and look for AFS credentials.

This confirms the idea that the NetIdMgr OpenAFS provider requires a
notification icon of its own.

> This is a minor issue, and I assume that we could write a small app that
> just checks
> if afs is alive and running on the machine.

It worries me that checking whether or not afsd_service.exe is running
is one of the goals.  It implies that you have a high enough incident
rate where it is not that we have a problem to address that I may not
be aware of.

Jeffrey Altman