[OpenAFS] The removal of afscreds.exe and afs_config.exe on Windows Vista and Windows 7: Seeking Opinions

Anders Magnusson ragge@ltu.se
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:42:29 +0200

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Anders Magnusson wrote:
>
>> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>>
>>> For Ragge I'm wondering if the benefit he is seeking is that of the AFS
>>> centric identity or the fact that the lock is easier to describe than
>>> the NetIdMgr cube which either contains an identity, an expired
>>> identity, or none at all.
>>>

>> Exactly.  It's much easier to ask whether people see a padlock without a
>> red cross
>> than asking them to open the NetIdMgr and look for AFS credentials.
>>

> This confirms the idea that the NetIdMgr OpenAFS provider requires a
> notification icon of its own.

Yes, that would be really good.

>> This is a minor issue, and I assume that we could write a small app that
>> just checks
>> if afs is alive and running on the machine.
>>

> It worries me that checking whether or not afsd_service.exe is running
> is one of the goals.  It implies that you have a high enough incident
> rate where it is not that we have a problem to address that I may not
> be aware of.

It's not because of (unknown) problems with the AFS client, it has more
to do with problems in
our environment.  For example, the client is distributed via SCCM, but
on some machines
software distributions may fail.  Or people may have trouble with
installing the client on
their private machines, due to bad firewall configs, failure to set
large cache sizes etc.

-- Ragge