[OpenAFS] Anyone using Solaris with Live Upgrade for fileservers?

Stephen Repetski skrepetski@gmail.com
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:13:48 -0400

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 12:04, Rich Sudlow <rich@nd.edu> wrote:
> Stephen Repetski wrote:
>>
>> I've done an LU on our two main fileservers before, but we upgraded
>> the AFS server on them as well. Between the time the LU completed and
>> the server was upgraded (1.4.8 to 1.4.11 I believe) it seemed to work
>> just as expected.
>>
>> Server OS: Solaris 10 update 6 to update 7
>>
>> What do you mean if the disk and memory were tested?
>
> Hi Trey
>
> Thanks for your response. We've been running Solaris fileservers
> for a long while but haven't been using Live Update - am interested
> in that in order to keep our servers up while patching.
> It sounds like it actually worked for you ;-)

To my knowledge it did :) We allocate 20g for our root zfs pool which
is good for an LU or so. We alternate between them and clean installs.

Roughly how long
> did the Live Update take? =A0Do you use Sun tools for the patches
> or pca?

The LU probably took 45 minutes to an hour. I didn't install any patch
bundles on top of it, so installing those (via PCA) took another 15-30
minutes.

> Regarding the disk/memory tested.
> Were you running an AFS client? - and if so a disk cache or
> memory cache?

Our clients (also s10u7; 1.4.10) are given a 2g AFS cache via a zfs
vol. Atime turned off for performance.