[OpenAFS] Support for large volumes

Mauricio Villarroel villarroel.mauricio@gmail.com
Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:15:41 -0400

--00032555a496a8f2ee0472859f03

Thanks Jeffrey for the quick response.

Is someone currently working on this?, I would love give a hand with this if
there is a list somewhere of changes and tasks needed.

Mauro

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Jeffrey Altman <
jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> Mauricio Villarroel wrote:
>
> > What is the limit for a volume?. I read online that one possible source
> > of the limitation comes from some data structure that are using 32bits
> > "ints" and changing them would mean changing the AFS communication
> > protocol?, if this is the case, is there a plan to increase it?
>
> The volume limit is 2^31 (max signed int).
>
> Raising this limit requires introducing a new set of RPCs, modifying the
> on-disk format, creating disk format conversion tools, etc.   Yes: we
> want to do it.  No: there is no scheduled timeline for doing so.
> However, we would prefer it to be sooner rather than later.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

--00032555a496a8f2ee0472859f03

Thanks Jeffrey for the quick response. <br><br>Is someone currently working=
 on this?, I would love give a hand with this if there is a list somewhere =
">
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Jeffrey Altman <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com">jaltman@secure-endpoints.com</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-lef=
t: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1=
ex;">
&gt; What is the limit for a volume?. I read online that one possible sourc=
e<br>
&gt; of the limitation comes from some data structure that are using 32bits=
&gt; &quot;ints&quot; and changing them would mean changing the AFS communi=
cation<br>
&gt; protocol?, if this is the case, is there a plan to increase it?<br>
Raising this limit requires introducing a new set of RPCs, modifying the<br=

on-disk format, creating disk format conversion tools, etc. =A0 Yes: we<br>
want to do it. =A0No: there is no scheduled timeline for doing so.<br>
However, we would prefer it to be sooner rather than later.<br>
Jeffrey Altman<br>

--00032555a496a8f2ee0472859f03--