[OpenAFS] Re: servers not establishing a quorum

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:26:08 -0500

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:02:24 -0400 (EDT)
lists@drewstud.com wrote:

> I removed the NetInfo file from the new openafs server we are trying
> to add, and BAM quorum, the new afs server became the quorum, and you
> are definitely correct about it having to do with what is and is not
> getting registered (had to be since removing that file worked :) )

Okay, but that may or may not be what you want in the longer term. If
you don't have a NetInfo on the fileserver and it advertises all of it's
IPs, a client may choose to contact the fileserver on its local IP.

When it goes down and you failover, that client may try again to contact
the fileserver on that local IP, and it will hang until it times out on
the network. That should only happen once (at which point I believe the
client refreshes its information on where that fileserver is), but that
could still be annoying. But maybe it's not so bad, I don't remember
what people normally do.

> As far as sourcing everything on each server so that it comes from the
> vip via heartbeat, that is absolutely possible and we will probably go
> that route

Okay, that's good. I don't think there are any problems with doing that,
but it's a little annoying that it needs to be done.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net