[OpenAFS] Linux packages for 1.5?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:28:29 -0700

Dale Pontius <pontius@btv.ibm.com> writes:

> At what point should the 1.5.xx series be considered "usable" on Linux?
> I'm thinking usable as 1.4.xx is, not trying disconnected mode, at the
> moment.

I finally got a working build on Debian with 1.5.73.3 plus two additional
patches (one of which has been merged and one of which is still in
review), so that's a good sign.  :)  I agree with your general impression
that up until now we've not really been there on Linux, but we seem to be
stabilizing.

I would give it a while longer, though, before considering it as stable as
1.4.x.  At least a couple more releases, I suspect.

> I've tried Linux clients from 1.5.71-73 with varying amounts of success,
> but in no case has it been sufficient.  A quick look at my domain, and
> you'll see that I'm likely connecting to a stunning (or annoying)
> variety of servers, which might explain my results.  In every case, I've
> had "holes" in my data as viewed in /afs.  Though those holes have
> gotten smaller with each release, some still appear to be there with
> 1.5.73.  Is there something I can run that will furnish debug
> information to be of some help?

The first thing I would try, based on my experience from yesterday, is to
stop your AFS client and completely purge your cache directory.  Then
start it again and see if the holes have gone away.

When switching from 1.4 to 1.5, I got some weird cache artifacts.  I
thought that was because I also had a kernel panic with the new version
that could have left the cache in an inconsistent state, but I'm wondering
if there may be some more basic upgrade problem.

Other people have been switching back and forth without encountering this
problem, so this may be a red herring, but it's worth a try.