[OpenAFS] Can client's CellServDB file rely on DNS?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 07 Apr 2010 11:29:55 -0700

Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> writes:

> We have had to replace our master openafs fileserver several times. Each
> time we have had to go through each client and update the CellServDB
> file to reflect the IP address of the new replacement server. Since we
> always map a domain name to the master openafs fileserver, is it
> possible to specify in the CellServDB file to always use domain name x
> as opposed to an IP? This feature would allow the system to reconfigure
> itself automatically once the DNS information is updated.

No.  The file semantics don't support that.

However, you can enable AFSDB records (add the -afsdb flag to afsd), and
then use a zero-length CellServDB file, and all VLDB location information
will be resolved via AFSDB records.