[OpenAFS] Linux packages for 1.5?

Dale Pontius pontius@btv.ibm.com
Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:06:59 -0400

On 04/07/10 14:38, Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 7 Apr 2010, at 19:28, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> I agree with your general impression
>> that up until now we've not really been there on Linux, but we seem
>> to be
>> stabilizing.
>
> Those of us actively developing on Linux have been running the 1.5
> series for ages. The fact that other people are seeing problems would
> seem to indicate that testing across a wider variety of systems is
> required. Unfortunately, we don't have the time, or the systems, to do
> this by ourselves. If folk are interested in getting a stable 1.5 (and
> 1.6) for Linux any time this millenia, then we need more people
> testing the builds.
I'll try putting more effort into testing 1.5.x releases.  I suspect my
employer has a wider-than-average variety of hardware and servers available.

> This particularly applies to those running old, or non-standard
> kernels and running on odd platforms and architectures. One of the
> bugs I fixed for Russ surfaced exactly because he was running a kernel
> with slightly out of the ordinary memory management.
>
> If RPM packages would help with this please let me know. So far all I
> have heard is silence.
I generally run Gentoo, and it's very simple to move to a new release.
All I need is the source tarball and a few ebuild tweaks on my side.  On
a T61p I can switch afs versions in 15 minutes or so, so it's more a
matter of not absolutely needing that machine during the testing interval.

Thanks,

--
Dale Pontius
Senior Engineer

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying it and notify sender of the misdirection by reply e-mail.