[OpenAFS] Shared r/w access to numerous sqlite databases: an appropriate application for AFS?

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:29:41 +0100

On 8 Apr 2010, at 12:22, Todd Lewis wrote:

> In a word, no. If your multiple clients were on the same host, then
> that
> host could enforce the locking sqlite attempts, but from multiple
> hosts
> you lose.

This is actually only true on Linux. On other operating systems,
OpenAFS doesn't enforce byte range locks at all, so you lose even if
all of the lock requests are from the same host.

Someone (Matt, IIRC) was working on server support for byte range
locking, but I don't think we've seen any code yet.

Cheers,

Simon.