[OpenAFS] Shared r/w access to numerous sqlite databases: an appropriate application for AFS?

Todd Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:22:09 -0400

On 04/07/2010 10:10 PM, Brandon Simmons sent:
> I have a web application in which I would like many client web-servers
> to be able to read and write to many separate and modestly-sized
> sqlite databases, exported by a master server. Each database
> corresponds to an account, so we might have several concurrent users
> accessing an individual DB every few seconds.
>
> I have been testing with NFS and haven't had any problems but I'm
> concerned with issues of file-locking and caching problems, which the
> whole internet seems to be warning about. Would AFS be appropriate for
> this?

In a word, no. If your multiple clients were on the same host, then that
host could enforce the locking sqlite attempts, but from multiple hosts
you lose.

I happen to be facing exactly that same problem at the moment, so I'm
hopeful (doubtful, but hopeful) someone will step up and prove me wrong.

> Thanks for any advice,
> Brandon

Same here, only not the Brandon part.
  / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-9302  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
 /         "He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr        /