[OpenAFS] Re: Linux packages for 1.5?

Dale Pontius pontius@btv.ibm.com
Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:39:26 -0400

On 04/07/10 15:24, Andrew Deason wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 15:14:31 -0400
> Dale Pontius <pontius@btv.ibm.com> wrote:
>

>>> fs whereis . will tell you.
>>>
>> Thanks, that does give the server name.  Now is there a command that
>> will give meaningful and useful (to you) information about that
>> server?  I doubt I have any sort of shell access to any of them.
>>
> rxdebug <server> -version
>
> will give you a clue as to what code they are running. But everything
> you've said so far sounds more like the client, to me
I'm rerunning my big jobstream with using the 1.5.73 now, except that I
have tweaked the init script to clear the cache before loading the
kernel module.  So far things are looking better.  The first checking
tool, which failed last time, has already passed.  There are quite a few
more job steps to go, so it might not get done before my ride home is
ready to leave.  But for a few more jollies, some of the distinct server
types I have available are:
AFS version: Base configuration afs3.6
2.64;Iavinesh-ID71117-afs3.6-AIX-large
AFS version: Base configuration afs3.6 2.67
AFS version: Base configuration afs3.6
2.64;Navinesh-ID71117-afs3.6-AIX-large

This list is most likely not exhaustive - it just comes from 16 mount
points I could think of off the top of my head and tuck into a quick script.

OK - I had problems, again.  Clearly better than last time, but not
clean.  In this case, I'm parked in a directory that looks really
weird.  Most of the subdirectories are shown, but have no contents.
There is a symlink that says it points nowhere, (Symlink target is
blank) yet it has contents. UIDs and sizes appear to be sheer
gibberish.  The server type is:
AFS version: Base configuration afs3.6
2.64;Iavinesh-ID71117-afs3.6-AIX-largeP
I didn't finish this note before I had to leave yesterday, so it stayed
in the drafts folder overnight.  The laptop was powered off overnight,
and started up fresh this morning.

Further observations...
If I query the server type from my 32-bit machine running 1.4.12, server
types are as in the list above.  If I run that same script from my
64-bit laptop running 1.5.73, I get the same server types, except the
"-large" and the end becomes "-largeP".

As mentioned, yesterday I had missing data on some mount points.
However I couldn't seem to correlate it to server type.  This morning I
decided to first retry the jobstream experiment from yesterday, and
today everything runs clean.  So at this point I'm not sure how to
proceed, since everything appears to be fully functional.  There are
some additional tools I can fire up, which will most likely touch other
volumes.  I suppose I can also continue running with 1.5.73, and keep
looking for errors.

Yesterday there were problems, today there are none, so far.
Intermittent problems are the MOST fun.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius

Senior Engineer
IBM Corporation
Phone: (802) 769-6850
Tie-Line: 446-6850
email: pontius@us.ibm.com

This e-mail and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message from your system without copying it and notify sender of the misdirection by reply e-mail.