[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS algorithm

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:34:43 -0500

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:58:05 +0200
Fabien COMBERNOUS <fcombernous@kezia.com> wrote:

> My question is how to permit client in B to use server in B ? I didn't
> found any document explaining the algorithm used by OpenAFS to decide
> the server contacted by the client.

'fs setserverprefs' / 'fs getserverprefs'. You can get information on
either via their manpages (fs_setserverprefs(1)) or here:
<http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/1/fs_setserverprefs.html>

The default preferences tend to not be very good (there is a project to
improve them), so for such a distributed setup you probably want to set
them yourself. Possibly in some init script on the client so you don't
lose the preferences on reboot.

Also, you want to make sure that you are accessing the RO data. Running
'fs whereis /afs/path/to/file' should mention that the file is on
multiple hosts, if you are accessing the RO.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net