[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4 (fs) -> 1.5 (dafs) migration

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:52:03 -0500

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:17:36 +0100
Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 20 Aug 2010, at 15:05, Gémes Géza wrote:
>
> > The data is on a Coraid SAN, so it will be
> > simply unmounted from the old fileservers, and mounted to the new ones,
> > but what operations would we need to perform on the ubik data?
>
> If you do want to go down this route, you will need to update the VLDB
> location for every volume that has changed fileservers. vos syncvldb
> and vos syncserv should do this for you - but there will be a period
> of outage for all of your clients.

I think you can technically avoid this if you turn off the old
fileserver. If you move (not copy) the sysid file along with the
volumes, when the new server starts up it will register its addresses as
the addresses to go to for the existing VLDB entries for the volumes you
moved.

But if you don't really know what you are doing, something _will_ go
wrong and you will be sad. So use vos :)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net