[OpenAFS] Re: 1.4 (fs) -> 1.5 (dafs) migration

Gémes Géza geza@kzsdabas.hu
Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:18:38 +0200

> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:17:36 +0100
> Simon Wilkinson <sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> On 20 Aug 2010, at 15:05, Gémes Géza wrote:
>>

>>> The data is on a Coraid SAN, so it will be
>>> simply unmounted from the old fileservers, and mounted to the new ones,
>>> but what operations would we need to perform on the ubik data?
>>>
>> If you do want to go down this route, you will need to update the VLDB
>> location for every volume that has changed fileservers. vos syncvldb
>> and vos syncserv should do this for you - but there will be a period
>> of outage for all of your clients.
>>
> I think you can technically avoid this if you turn off the old
> fileserver. If you move (not copy) the sysid file along with the
> volumes, when the new server starts up it will register its addresses as
> the addresses to go to for the existing VLDB entries for the volumes you
> moved.
>
> But if you don't really know what you are doing, something _will_ go
> wrong and you will be sad. So use vos :)

Initially I've planed to use the same ip address for the new server as
the old had. But maybe vos move is a better approach. I have an almost
empty partition, which I will empty up and reattach to the new server.
My only remaining concern is about the db migration, as I intend to shut
down the old servers.

Thank you

Geza