[OpenAFS] Proposed changes for server log rotation

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 02 Dec 2010 17:06:57 -0800

Michael Meffie <mmeffie@sinenomine.net> writes:

> I've been been recently working on changes to improve how the server
> logs are handled to make it more straightforward to use commonly used
> tools for log rotation (like logrotate) out of the box. I'd like to
> solicit some comments on the subject.

I think you should just deprecate all logging methods other than syslog,
at least on UNIX.  There's a perfectly useable system service that handles
all this already.  I don't think it's a useful use of our development
resources to do a halfway reimplemention of syslogd.